3208 Pool Lifeguard
|Department||Recreation and Parks|
|Salary||$19.15 - $19.15/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
3208 POOL LIFEGUARD
NOTE: This Recruitment is for Continuous Temporary Exempt/As-Needed Hiring and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring. Periodically the Recreation and Park Department will temporarily suspend receipt of applications by amending the job announcement with the updated information.
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Temporary Exempt/As-Needed. These positions are temporary exempt, as-needed subject to budgetary constraints.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision, the 3208 Pool Lifeguard is responsible for the safety of swimmers and enforcement of regulations at a municipally-operated swimming pool. The essential functions of the class include: maintaining discipline in and around swimming pool to prevent accidents; conducting rescue operations; administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid; directing communication and contact with swimmers and the general public; cleaning and disinfecting the pool, decks, showers, locker rooms and equipment used for aquatic activities; writing reports of accidents and incidents; completing various facility checklists and forms; participating in department training activities and meetings; preparing the pool for various aquatic programs; tallying attendance and monitoring admission payments; presenting a professional appearance and attitude at all times; maintaining a high degree of customer service; the Pool Lifeguard also performs related duties as required.
Temporary Exempt employees are expected to make themselves available for on-call, early morning opening shifts, weekends, and closing evening shifts. Please note, successful candidates are NOT guaranteed specific job placements, work site locations or fixed hours.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment: sufficient strength and coordination to rescue submerged victims and remove them from the water.
- Possession of a current/valid Lifeguard Training certification issued by the American Red Cross, YMCA or Ellis and Associates; AND
- Possession of a current/valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer / Automated External Defibrillator (CPRFPR/AED) certification issued by the American Heart Association or an equivalent certifying agency; AND
- Possession of a current/valid First Aid certification issued by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross; AND
- Four hundred (400) hours of experience as a paid or volunteer lifeguard (a verification letter stating the qualifying hours and position must be submitted on agency letterhead). Prior Lifeguard trainee hours will be considered as qualifying hours.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All employees must keep current his/her valid Lifeguard Training, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer / Automated External Defibrillator (CPRFPR/AED) and First Aid certifications throughout his/her length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of current/valid certification may result in termination of employment.
- New hires must be able to obtain the following certifications issued by the American Red Cross within twelve (12) months of hire and maintain validity of these certificates throughout length of employment: First Aid for Public Safety Personnel in accordance with Title 22 requirements; AND Oxygen Administration. Failure to show proof of possession of valid certifications after twelve (12) months of hire date and throughout length of employment may result in termination of employment.
- Successful candidates, who are under 18 years old on the date of hire, will be required to obtain a Work Permit. For additional information, please call Aiko Yoshino at (415) 831-2726.
HOW TO APPLY:
City and County of San Francisco employment applications are accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin application process.
- Click and select the desired job announcement (TEX-3208-058521).
- Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
- Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”
- Follow instructions given on the screen.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact Katherine Dere at (415) 831-2726 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org Interested applicants are encouraged to FILE IMMEDIATELY. Resumes may be attached to the application, however, resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application. Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources (1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco) for use by the public. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Applicants must submit copies (PDF files) of the following valid/current certifications at the time of application via www.jobaps.com/sf. Those who are unable to submit electronically must submit via fax to: (415) 666-7050 (Please indicate "ATTN: 3208 TEX" on cover page). If this information is not submitted within 5 business days of application, it will be deemed incomplete.
- Lifeguard Training Certification as issued by the American Red Cross, YMCA or Ellis and Associates; AND
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer / Automated External Defibrillator (CPRFPR/AED) certification issued by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross; AND
- First Aid certification issued by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross; AND
- A letter on agency letterhead stating the applicant's position and verifying the four hundred (400) hours of experience as either a paid or volunteer lifeguard/lifeguard trainee (dates and hours of employment).
Verification of qualifying experience must be documented on the employer's business letterhead and must include the name of the applicant, job title(s), dates of employment, description of job duties performed, and signature of the employer or the employer’s authorized representative. Verification of experience may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement with the application explaining why verification cannot be obtained. Waiver requests will not automatically be granted, but will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to submit the required verification or request for a waiver at the time of filing may result in rejection of the application.
Qualified submissions must be RECEIVED by Friday, January 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM to be considered for the first administration of the selection process. Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications within two weeks.
NOTES: Applicants will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Only those candidates most qualified will be invited to the selection process which includes a pass/fail performance component and oral interview, at which time they will be asked to present the originals of each applicable certificate as indicated under Minimum Qualifications above. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: TEX-3208-058521
RPD/KD (415) 831-2705
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Policy of Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability and Equal Opportunity Statement
The Recreation and Park Department does not discriminate on the basis of disability in employment or in the admission and access to its programs or activities. Persons with disabilities who might need accommodations during the application and selection process should contact Katherine Dere at (415) 831-2705; or in writing at 501 Stanyan Street, San Francisco, CA 94117 as possible after filing the application.
Minorities, Women, and Persons with Disabilities are Encouraged to Apply
An Equal Opportunity Employer
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically a 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|