9182 Manager VIII, Municipal Transportation Agency
|Specialty||Director, Public Affairs and Communications|
|Department||Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Date Opened||6/18/2012 1:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/3/2012 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$155,922.00 - $198,978.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
The following information describes the civil service classification for which applications are being solicited.
Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this announcement is to fill 1 vacant position in this classification.
Under policy direction of the Director of Transportation, develops and implements strategic communications tactics for the agency that convey the SFMTA’s policy and program initiatives to the public and increases awareness of SFMTA’s services, projects and programs and its commitment to customer service; directs and manages all public affairs functions and activities of the SFMTA including internal and external communications, community relations/outreach, media relations, social media, website content and publications; and serves as SFMTA’s communications expert on various communications programs, trends, best practices, policies and emerging technologies.
- Plans, organizes, and directs multi-media advertising/marketing campaigns, special events, public outreach programs, social media programs and initiatives;
- Directs special research and evaluations of programs/projects to enhance the dissemination of information through viable conduits;
- Develops and implements plans and strategies for current, short and long-range public information, public relations, and promotional/marketing programs and campaigns;
- Identifies and creates outreach campaigns and initiatives to enhance SFMTA’s social community engagement and interaction;
- Monitors and performs regular analysis of campaign performance results to make effective recommendations to optimize marketing strategies and goals;
- Determines the needs and requirements for the website, including website content display and layout; directs and coordinates with internal information technology staff to implement and maintain the system;
- Assesses and responds to community and stakeholder needs; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs and implements changes/solutions that solve business problems and develop business strategies;
- Directs, develops and implements the unit’s work plan goals, priorities, objectives, policies, procedures, budget and work standards;
- Directs and assigns projects and areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures;
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates assigned personnel; coordinates staff development; works with employees to address performance issues, and implements discipline and/or termination procedures;
- Cultivates and maintains an effective working relationship with all internal and external stakeholders including policymakers, community-based groups, governmental agencies and the media;
- Represents SFMTA before elected officials and the public;
- And performs related duties as required.
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience which must have included four (4) years of management experience in outreach, communications or public relations program; and
- Possession of a valid driver license.
How To Apply:
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency employment applications for this classification will be accepted through an on-line process only. A resume and cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications must be attached to the online application.
* Visit http://www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process
* Choose “9182 Manager VIII, MTA (PEX-9182-059028)” from the list of job opportunities
* Click “Apply” located under the position salary information and acknowledge the information
* Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have Registered Previously”
* Follow instructions given on the screen
To submit resume using the online application:
- Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
- Follow instructions given on screen
To submit cover letter using the online application:
- Select the “Other” tab in the online application
- Choose “Upload” as your method of submittal
- Click on “Upload Attachment”
- Follow instructions given on screen
If you are having trouble attaching your resume/cover letter to the online application, you may submit by fax to (415) 581-5120.
Upon successful submittal of the application online, the applicant will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in the applicant’s e-mail inbox, acknowledging the receipt of the application by the SFMTA - Merit Section. If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at 415-701-5062 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Computers are available for the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco and in the lobby of SFMTA Human Resources office, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org; and @sfmta.com).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of experience and education at a later date. Verification of experience, when requested, must be on the employer’s letterhead and must show the name of the applicant, job title(s), duties, dates of service, and must be signed by the employer. A copy of diploma or transcript must be submitted to verify qualifying education.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the SFMTA by phone at 415.701.5062 or 415.701.5043 (TTY); or in writing to: SFMTA Human Resources, Merit Section, 1 South Van Ness, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. For further information, please contact 415.701.5062.
MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically a 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.