2312 Licensed Vocational Nurse - Correctional Facilities
|Date Opened||2/22/2013 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/8/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$28.03 - $34.08/hour; $4,858.00 - $5,906.00/month; $58,292.00 - $70,876.00/year|
|Job Type||Continuous CBT|
CLASS 2312 LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE
CORRECTIONAL FACILITY NURSING
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: Current Permanent Civil Service employees in Class 2312 Licensed Vocation Nurse are encouraged to apply.
Under general supervision, the Licensed Vocational Nurse for Jail Health Services (JHS) performs routine duties in rendering nursing care to clients/patients in the San Francisco County Jails. Essential duties include:
- Monitoring assigned clients/patients;
- Assisting clinicians with therapeutic and diagnostic treatments and procedures;
- Preparing and administering medications and immunizations under the direction of registered nurses;
- Preparing and assembling equipment and supplies;
- Documenting client/patient information including communicable/infectious disease status;
- Participating in the development of nursing care plans;
- Teaching clients/patients techniques of patient care, such as STD prevention and treatment;
- Draw labs; and
- Performs related duties as required.
LOCATION OF POSITIONS: One (1) Full Time position and One (1) Part Time position are available: Note: Employees may be required to work rotating facilities of the Jail Health Services Division.
SHIFT: Jail Health Services Nursing Divisions operate on a 24-hour, 7 days per week basis. A shift differential for work performed on designated evening and night shifts will be available. Employees may be assigned to any shift, which may require working evenings, weekends and holidays.
NATURE OF POSITIONS: Licensed Vocational Nurses in Jail Health Services (JHS) are required to work in difficult environmental conditions which include: moderate to very loud noise; food, medical, human body, and cleaning agent/paint odors; exposure to blood and body fluids; infectious diseases such as tuberculosis and hepatitis; sudden violence and verbal abuse; security hardware; and slippery floors. LVNs in JHS must be able to perform effectively under stress and be able to work both as part of a team and independently.
1. Possession of a valid permanent or temporary (including an interim permit) California Vocational Nurse License; AND
2. Six (6) months of experience (equivalent to 1,000 hours) as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in an acute care setting within the last three (3) years; AND
3. Possession of a valid Basic Life Support – Community (BLS-C) certificate for health care providers.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Security clearance as issued by the Sheriff’s Department is required as a condition of employment for all positions. Eligibles who have successfully participated in the examination process, received passing scores and have been selected for hire will be required to obtain the security clearance prior to appointment. A photocopy of the security clearance must be provided to the supervisor on or before date of hire. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of security clearance may result in a dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate Requirement / Provision:
Possession of a valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate issued by the American Heart Association is required as a provision to employment for all positions. Eligibles who do not possess such a certification may participate in this examination process and be appointed to a position(s), but will be required to obtain the certificate within two (2) weeks of hire date and maintain validity throughout length of employment. A photocopy of the valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate must be provided to the appropriate supervisor of the appointment within the allotted time frame. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of valid certification within two (2) weeks of hire date and throughout length of employment may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have questions regarding these vacancies, please contact:
Imelda Prado, Nurse Manager, Jail #3/4
via email at Imelda.Prado@sfdph.org or phone 415-553-9103
VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/EXPERIENCE:
All applicants must be able to produce a copy of required licenses or certifications when requested throughout the application/examination process. Failure to provide verification(s) may result in rejection of application and removal from the examination process.
Experience: All applicants must be able to produce employment verification(s) if requested throughout the application/examination process. Failure to present documentation may result in rejection of application and removal from the examination process.
Verification of all experience needed to qualify if requested must be on the employer's letterhead indicating the name of the applicant, job title, dates of employment, hours per week, duties performed and must be signed by the supervisor and/or appropriate representative. City employees do not need to submit verification of qualifying City work experience if experience gained is from the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will only be allowed if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. City employees relying upon qualifying work experience gained outside the City and
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
DRUG CALCULATION TEST/WRITTEN EXAM: Candidates will be expected to pass a drug calculation test and/or a written exercise to continue in the examination process. WEIGHT: QUALIFYING
ORAL EXAMINATION: Candidates will be interviewed to determine their relative knowledge, ability and skill level in one or more of the following job related areas as appropriate. These areas may include, but not be limited to: Knowledge and understanding of basic scientific principles; Record keeping ability; Oral communication ability; Ability to apply principles of medical and surgical asepsis and infection control procedures; Interpersonal relations ability; Ability to assess and identify clients’/patients' needs; and Reading comprehension ability.
The "Rule of Three Scores" will be the Certification Rule for this eligible list.
1. The number of persons to be placed on an eligible list will be determined by the needs of the department(s); therefore applicants who receive passing scores are not guaranteed placement on the eligible list.
2. Departments may utilize additional selection procedures to make final hiring decisions.
3. No waivers of employment offers will be allowed.
4. Personal Computer Operation Requirement: During the probationary period, the employee will be required to demonstrate ability to utilize a personal computer to perform assignments. Failure to perform the function may result in dismissal and/or termination from employment.
5. Some positions may require eligibles to possess an IV/Blood Withdrawal Certification as a condition of employment depending upon the department’s needs. Applicants who do not possess this certificate may be appointed to a position, but will be required to obtain such a certification within five (5) months of hire date. A photocopy of the IV/Blood Withdrawal Certification must be provided to the supervisor during this period. Failure to show proof of certification may result in the dismissal and/or termination of employment.
6. If appointed, eligibles possessing temporary licenses must present full and unrestricted California Vocational Nurse License prior to completion of the probationary period.
7. Valid licensure must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of required valid licensure may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
8. Information concerning the California Vocational Nurse Licenses may be obtained from the California Board of Vocational Nurse and Psychiatric Technician Examiners website at http://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/
9. Some positions may require bilingual fluency in a variety of languages depending upon the department’s needs. Only those eligibles who pass the bilingual proficiency test will be considered for these positions. Applicants must indicate the language(s) in which they claim proficiency on the application.
10. Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
11. Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/, or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
12. Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
13. Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
14. Prior to appointment, some positions require that candidates complete a personal history statement and pass a thorough background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment. The investigation is limited to job-relevant and legally mandated matters, and may include a reference check, verification of employment history and education, military and financial history, fingerprinting, and criminal and motor vehicle records. Some positions require that candidates undergo drug/alcohol screening. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination from employment. In addition, prior to appointment, at the department's expense, applicants may be required to take a TB Screening Test and/or a medical examination.
15. Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
ISSUED: February 22, 2013
LIST ID No.: CCT-2312-PH1063
DPH/LL 415-206-5417 (DHR Pos Nos 01123278/01123356)
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.