9910 Public Service Trainee
WORKREATION - Student Youth Worker (School Year 2014/2015)
|Department||Recreation and Parks|
|Date Opened||8/25/2014 9:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/5/2014 11:59:00 PM|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Are you a student between the ages of 14 and 18? How would you like to gain valuable work experience, earn some extra money, meet some new friends during the school year? The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department's Workreation Program may be your ticket to a great school year!
Now in our 55th year, this program has offered local young people the opportunity to become a part of the workforce, tackle new challenges, learn responsibility, professionalism and gain valuable job skills. There are many interesting and rewarding jobs that could benefit from your youthful energy, enthusiasm, special skills and expertise. Read on for more information!
APPOINTMENT TYPE - Temporary Exempt
The basic work week is up to 15 hours weekly, depending on the assignment (AM/PM shifts, hours to be arranged).
Employees must attend mandatory workshops, training and orientation sessions. Work schedules may include weekends and evenings. These positions are subject to budgetary constraints.
Student Youth Trainees perform work in one of three (3) functional areas for the Recreation and Park Department. These areas include: Administration , After school/Junior counselor, Facility/Program Operations. Duties may include assisting with after school recreation activities (including sports, arts & crafts, cooking, field trips, and special events); and assisting with office/clerical work including typing, filing, answering phones; facility preparation (including set up and/or breakdown for events, facility monitoring, providing lobby or reception duties and creating attractive/informative displays) and performing other related duties as required.
1. Applicant must be a currently enrolled high school student between 14 and 18 years of age as of October 11, 2014. (Verification of age will be required.)
2. Applicant must possess a Social Security Card, valid picture identification, and documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility, such as birth certificate, state issued proof of identity or proof of a legal right to work in the United States.
3. Applicant must be a San Francisco resident OR attend school in San Francisco during the academic year 2014-2015. (Proof may be requested at any time.)
All applicants MUST work at least eight hours during the week between 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and/or 3:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. on Friday, and/or 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Successful candidates will be required to obtain a Work Permit. (Students should NOT request a work permit until notified of a job offer.)
For additional information please call Jennifer Gee at (415) 831-2785, Tuesday through Saturday.
Experience in leadership, volunteer work, gardening; participation in organized art or sport activities; ability to type, word processing and/or computer graphics skills; bilingual skills, including American Sign Language (ASL); strong verbal communication skills; ability to write well; participation in a sport, art, or day camp and experience working in ethnically and socially diverse communities are desired. Of particular interest is direct experience in recreation/aquatics, gardening or office/clerical work.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit to begin the application process by registering for an account.
* Click and select the 9910 Public Service Trainee (Workreation Student Youth Trainee) TEX-9910-900603 job announcement.
* Click on "Apply" and read and acknowledge the information
* Click on "I am a New User" if you have not previously registered, or on "I have Registered Previously". Follow instructions given on the screen.
Computer kiosks, for use by the public, are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATIONEach applicant is required to prepare a supplemental application. Failure to submit the supplemental application will delay application processing and eligibility for employment.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, September 5, 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Hand delivered or faxed applications will NOT be accepted.
All completed applications will be reviewed in detail. Those applicants with the most desirable qualifications will be interviewed. Previous paid or volunteer experience with the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department does NOT guarantee employment. Successful applicants will be offered employment on an as-needed basis and serve at the pleasure of the Appointing Officer.
1. Applications must be filled out by the job seeker him/herself. While it may seem helpful, parents, guardians, teachers or counselors may NOT prepare or submit the application. The information provided on the application and supplemental application will be used to screen applicants and should come from and be prepared by the student directly to ensure accuracy.
2. Applicants should keep a copy of the email confirmation notice that verifies the application was submitted as well as copies of their application materials and any other documents submitted. The Recreation and Park Department is not responsible for unsubmitted or misdirected applications sent to the wrong recruitment or other city department. Without documented proof of timely submission, applications in question will not be considered.
3. Applicants are advised to maintain the e-mail account that was used to register with JobAps. To ensure that important information does not get directed into a 'Bulk Mail' or 'SPAM' folder, applicants are reminded to allow messages from the following City and County e-mail extensions: sfgov.org, flysfo.com, sfdpw.org, sfwater.org, sfmta.com, asianart.com. The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is not responsible for information that was sent to an invalid or closed e-mail account.
4. **Interviews for the Student Youth Trainee (Workreation Program) are scheduled Monday, September 15, 2014 through Friday, September 19, 2014 from 1:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and (tentatively) Saturday, September 20, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.**
Policy of Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability and Equal Opportunity Statement: The Recreation and Park Department does not discriminate on the basis of disability in employment or in the admission and access to its programs or activities. Persons with disabilities who might need accommodations during the application and selection process should contact the analyst at (415) 831-2735; or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible after filing the application.
Minorities, Women, and Persons with Disabilities are Encouraged to Apply An Equal Opportunity Employer
Issued: August 25, 2014
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.