School Lunchroom Helper
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Date Opened||10/20/2014 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/8/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$15.26 - $21.33/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD), the highest performing large urban school district in the state of California, is seeking a pool of qualified School Lunchroom Helpers. The Student Nutrition Services Department (SNS) supports SFUSD by providing meal service through the National School Lunch Program for 105 K-12 schools and 6 charter schools. At these schools SNS serves over 6,000 breakfasts, 23,000 lunches and 7,000 After School Snacks. We're looking for passionate people who share our commitment to providing healthy and balanced meals, dedication to excellence and improving the food service experience in our schools. Appointment Type: Temporary Exempt Position Description:
If you have any questions, please call 415-241-6101 and ask for Classified Staffing
Positions may involve exposure to extreme temperature conditions and chemicals while: working in a noisy environment, standing for long periods of time, bending, crouching and reaching. Most positions require ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs to waist level. Employees are required to wear a uniform while working. Employees may be assigned to any shift including working evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts. Positions in this class are part-time. Many positions are on-call and employees must be reachable every morning from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. to accept telephone assignments.
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD), the highest performing large urban school district in the state of California, is seeking a pool of qualified School Lunchroom Helpers.
The Student Nutrition Services Department (SNS) supports SFUSD by providing meal service through the National School Lunch Program for 105 K-12 schools and 6 charter schools. At these schools SNS serves over 6,000 breakfasts, 23,000 lunches and 7,000 After School Snacks.
We're looking for passionate people who share our commitment to providing healthy and balanced meals, dedication to excellence and improving the food service experience in our schools.
Requires responsibility for: Following established methods and procedures relating to the preparation and serving of food in school lunchrooms, preparing simple records relative to purchase and sale of food in lunchrooms, maintaining cleanliness of kitchen areas and serving utensils, following simple oral and written instructions, making frequent contact with students, faculty, and other employees on routine matters.
This class does not supervise.This class receives guidance and oversight from the 2616 Lead Student Nutrition Worker or a higher level classification.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties
1. Assists in the preparation and/or heat up of a variety of foods, such as salad bars, sandwiches, soups, grain and noodle dishes; washes, and prepares foods and vegetables; assembles bag lunches.
2. Maintains Student Nutrition Program compliance with all federal, state, and local guidelines. Follows the collection and recording procedures approved for Point of Sale at the school. Identifies reimbursable meal on the serving line. Maintains confidentiality of students receiving free or reduced price meals.
3. Serves food to students and faculty members.
4. Provides food preparation and customer service needs for reimbursable meal menus, milk sales and all assigned site functions. Follows prescribed menus and recipes.
5. Maintains high quality food standards with emphasis on the goal that foods are appetizing, appealing, and high in nutritive value for assigned site.
6. Maintains high customer service and communication standards, including written and oral.
7. Maintains high food safety and sanitation standards. Must utilize first-in-first-out (FIFO) inventory management system.
8. Washes, scrubs and otherwise cleans, pots, pans, trays and other items as directed.
9. Sweeps floor, sanitizes equipment, stoves, work tables, and performs other duties relative to keeping the kitchen and storage rooms sanitized and orderly; sanitizes tabletops.
10. Closely monitors computer at meal times to ensure accuracy of all transactions. Performs all software procedures, including: powering on the computer; turning on computer/restarting as requested by technical support; opening foodservice software program and logging in; opening till for meal service; ensuring accuracy of all transactions; posting payments to student accounts; enter cash totals into computer; logging out and closing computer programs.
11. Maintains and completes required forms and records accurately, as assigned by supervisor.
12. Attends and participates in meetings as required.
13. Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: Approved food handling practices, food preparation and use of cafeteria equipment; and food and supply ordering, receiving and inventory control.
Skills to operate: Basic office equipment including computer, peripherals, telephone
Ability to: Do the various tasks of a kitchen; meet work schedules and time lines, and work under pressure of deadlines and interruptions; keep records as required; add, subtract, multiply, and divide accurately; work cooperatively with others; understand and carry out oral and written directions; operate a Point of Sale system independently.
Experience and Training
Requires possession of high school diploma or equivalent
Requires six (6) months of routine kitchen work experience including use of a computer and point of sale software.
License or Certificate
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|