1654 Accountant III
|Department||General Services Agency|
|Date Opened||2/6/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$41.11 - $49.98/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
FILE IMMEDIATELY. OPEN UNTIL FILLED: Applicants are encouraged to file immediately as this announcement may close at anytime.
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Temporary Exempt (TEX), this position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Under administrative direction of the Accounting Supervisor, the 1654 Accountant III reports to the Accounting Section with oversight of the General Services Agency’s (GSA) 25 departments, divisions, and programs that include Office of Contract Administration/Purchasing, Real Estate, County Clerk, Fleet Management, Convention Facilities, Animal Care and Control, Medical Examiner, Treasure Island and others.
This position will be assigned to work primarily with the Real Estate Division, as well as to provide support to other divisions within GSA. The Real Estate Division is responsible for the acquisition and maintenance of all real property required for City purposes, the sale of surplus real property owned by the City, and the leasing of property required by various City departments.
The position performs duties in all aspects of accounting functions, including accounts payable, fixed asset and debt accounting, capital project and grant accounting. The position performs year-end financial statement analytics; billing for services/work performed on behalf of other Departments; monitors revenues including, but not limited to revenue and fee recognition, unearned revenues, cash deposits, reconciliation, analysis, and indirect costs; and helps manage funds including but not limited to general funds, special revenue and project funds, grants, fees, and other revenues.
This position performs accounting functions consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements, and the City and County of San Francisco accounting guidelines. This position will plan, direct and coordinate workload and assignments for accounting, administrative and clerical staff.
- Assign, manage and evaluate fiscal and accounting work including purchasing, payable, revenues and expenditure activities, and track and monitor department fixed assets
- Prepare, process, and review financial, accounting, payables, purchasing, encumbrance, interdepartmental work order billing, and other documents in the Financial Accounting and Management Information System (FAMIS Accounting and ADPICS Purchasing)
- Process and pre-audit accounting documents and transactions in conformance with established procedures and internal controls
- Assist in monitoring grant activities by performing quarterly grant reconciliations, and analyzing revenue and expenditure activities at year-end
- Perform analysis and reconciliation of General Ledger (GL) accounts related to Operating funds.
- Close-out appropriation and encumbrance of professional services, general services, commodity items and work orders funded with operating funds
- Analyze fund balances and reconcile and correct abnormal fund balances
- Assist the grants closeout process by identifying potential grants for close-out and analyzing GL balances
- Review, prepare, reconcile and supervise the preparation of complex financial reports
- Analyze and reconcile FAMIS operating and general ledger balances for conversion to the new system (PeopleSoft)
- Performs other related responsibilities, as assigned.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field. Such education must include eighteen (18) semester units or twenty-four ( 24) quarter units of coursework in accounting; AND
- Four (4) years of professional accounting which includes analysis or problem solving. Experience must include: Working with an automated financial system, (preferably a government system) performing difficult and responsible accounting, as well as preparing financial records and reports; OR
- City and County of San Francisco Employees with four (4) years of professional accounting experience including experience as a 1652 Accountant II.
A Master's degree in accounting, business administration, computer information systems, public policy, or a closely related field may be substituted for one year of work experience.
- Experience with FAMIS or Oracle’s PeopleSoft Financial Management software
- Experience applying Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB) to financial transactions and reports
- Accounting certification or license
- Substantial experience in performing accounting functions
- Ability to manage a high volume of financial transactions accurately and timely
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously
- Ability to design and implement complex projects and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word, and Database Management
- Ability to work cooperatively with multiple agencies, departments and staff
VERIFICATION: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
NOTE: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement: 1654 Accountant III (TEX-1654-073582)
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
A college transcript is REQUIRED at the time of filing and must be attached to the online application. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed documents/applications will not be accepted.
To submit a TRANSCRIPT using the online application:
- Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
- Follow instructions given on screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst at (415) 554-6000.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview. Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the Agency by phone at (415) 554-6000 or, if hearing impaired at (415) 554-6015 (TTY).
THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|