1244 Senior Human Resources Analyst
|Specialty||Talent Acquisition Unit|
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||1/26/2017 2:50:00 AM|
|Salary||$92,924.00 - $112,918.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Re-issued on 4/4/17 to broaden applicant pool. Applicants who filed an application for this recruitment, do not need to re-apply. Applicants are encouraged to file immediately as this recruitment may close at any time, but not before April 28, 2017.
Are you interested in joining the Human Resources Services Division of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)? There are some exciting job opportunities available now at the SFPUC, within the Talent Acquisition Team. We'd love to have you on board!
About the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission:
The SFPUC is recognized throughout the world as a leading utility agency which delivers high quality water, wastewater treatment and power services through efficient, state of the art technologies which protect and sustain our precious resources. We are proud of our infrastructure and programs, but most importantly, we value our highly qualified and dedicated workforce which ensures that this vision becomes a reality.
Our mission is to provide customers with high quality, efficient and reliable water, power, and sewer services in a manner that values environmental and community interests, and sustains the resources entrusted in our care. We are comprised of three essential 24/7 service utilities: Water, Wastewater and Power. We provide retail drinking water and wastewater services to San Francisco, wholesale water to three Bay Area counties, and green hydroelectric and solar power to San Francisco’s municipal departments and tenants and redevelopment areas. Headquartered in San Francisco, we have about 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $900 million. The SFPUC is nationally recognized for its excellence and as a premier employer.
Appointment Type: Exempt
Employment is limited to a three (3) year project duration. Exempt employees are considered “at will” and serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. The initial appointment is authorized for up to three years, at which time analyses will be conducted to determine appropriate staffing patterns to ensure successful maintenance of project outcomes and solutions.
This 1244 Senior Human Resources Analyst position is assigned to the Talent Acquisition Team of the Human Resources Services Division of SFPUC. Pursuant to the SFPUC 2020 Strategic Plan, this position will be assisting with the development and implementation of a recruitment/talent acquisition strategy to recruit top talent as well as to create a positive candidate and hiring manager experience. This includes monitoring and evaluation of recruitment and selection practices to identify enhancements and opportunities for improvement.
- Supervise and train staff performing recruitment, selection, classification, position management, and referral activities.
- Provide advice, consultation and information to SFPUC managers, supervisors, and employees regarding organizational structures, appropriate staffing patterns, competency model development and utilization, career paths and pathway programs.
- Conduct job analyses for a wide-range of classifications to document competency models and target proficiency levels necessary for current and future success; document career paths linked to competencies to ensure transparency for employees, job seekers and pathway programs.
- Develop and validate a variety of job-related test instruments, prepare and post job announcements, review applications, administer and score exams, and post eligible lists.
- Coordinate processing of personnel transactions, review requests to fill positions, track certification and selection processes, and review and process personal services contracts.
- Review and analyze job, employee and recruitment data and trends, including demographic data, job analysis questionnaires, job descriptions, classification specifications, and organizational structures, and consult with managerial and supervisory staff to identify attrition risk of pivotal jobs and potential loss of technical and institutional knowledge.
- Analyze career and occupational trends of SFPUC classifications to identify best practices and plan programs to ensure a pool of workers to transition to highly skilled and difficult to recruit jobs.
- Assess software solutions to effectively support succession planning strategies, linkage of competency models and proficiency targets to learning and development and performance management programs, as well as career planning needs; provide recommendations for use and/or acquisition of available or new solutions, and participate in the implementation efforts.
- Prepare written materials, including reports, standard operating procedures, memos, etc.
- Advise managerial and supervisory staff of Civil Service Commission rules, relevant charter provisions, SFPUC policies and administrative regulations, administrative codes, and relevant federal and state guidelines relating to all aspects of selection and employment including ADA, Federal Guidelines on Employee Selection, FMLA, and Collective Bargaining Agreements; interpret and apply relevant contract and civil service provisions, including compensation, seniority probation and status provisions during succession planning program design and implementation.
- Provide information to departmental representatives, labor organizations, managers, employees, applicants, other agencies and the general public, and represent department on personnel matters before boards and commissions and in meetings with other departments.
- Legal, ethical and professional framework of human resource management: including relevant guidelines, legislation, and professional standards associated with selection, labor relations, operations, and workforce planning and development in a public sector, merit system environment.
- Assessment and feedback: Assess, interpret and communicate distinguishing characteristics of individuals for use in employment testing and selection, performance management, and development.
- Job analysis and classification: Understanding and expertise in theory and techniques used to identify information about factors involved in job performance, including the physical and social context in which work is performed and the attributes needed for successful performance. Included in this is an understanding of development and use of valid and reliable competency models and their applicability to talent management programs.
- HR technology: Ability to identity, utilize, and recommend enhancements to technology and software solutions to support workforce planning activities, including proficiency in the use of database software, such as programs in Microsoft Office Suite and state of the art software analytic programs such as SPSS; ability to design databases, query and manipulate data, and prepare reports, with understandable and meaningful graphs and charts.
- Critical evaluation: Gathers and assesses information using valid and reliable research and investigative techniques, including comprehensive knowledge of research protocols, strategies and techniques, and factors necessary for successfully organizational survey research; knowledge and understanding of multivariate statistics and the ability to design survey instruments to obtain meaningful data from which inferences can be obtained.
- Relationship management: includes the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with subject matter experts, hiring managers, coworkers, employees, union representatives, and the general public; handle sensitive problems with tact; and the ability to interact with technical and managerial staff in a utility setting.
- Communication: includes ability to effectively exchange information with stakeholders in a variety of settings and modalities to meet workforce planning goals; includes verbal communication skills, diplomacy, facilitation skills, public relations and the ability to conduct effective meetings and presentations.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving: Take ownership of problems and makes responsible, transparent, and clear decisions; involve others in addressing problems and seeking solutions; gather relevant information and conduct appropriate analyses; understand the impact of decisions.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Contribute to a vibrant and collaborative work environment with colleagues in the workgroup to achieve long-term goals; foster a cooperative atmosphere that values each team member’s unique contributions and welcomes new ideas from others to accomplish collective team goals.
- Strategic Message Delivery: Develop and deliver effective messages to support organizational needs; leverage different presentation styles or media to have maximum impact based on the needs and level of understanding of the audience; anticipate the perspectives and concerns of the audience when crafting messages for maximum impact and effectiveness.
- Organizational Research and Application: Conduct research and analyze data to assess and support position classification and test development. Understand current theories, best practices, and ethical obligations related to human subjects’ research.
1. Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; AND
2. Three (3) years of verifiable professional human resources experience, similar to 1241 Human Resources Analyst, in one or more of the following areas of activity: recruitment and selection, classification and compensation, employee and/or labor relations, benefits administration and human resources operations.
Education Substitution - Additional qualifying work experience as a professional human resources analyst may be substituted for up to two years of the required education on a yearfor- year basis (30 semester/ 45 quarter units equals one year).
Experience Substitution - Completion of a 12 month human resources trainee program equivalent to the City and County of San Francisco’s 1249 Human Resources Training Program may substitute for one (1) year of required professional experience.
Experience Substitution - Possession of a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) or Master’s degree in Personnel Administration, Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration or Clinical/School/Industrial-Organizational Psychology may substitute for one (1) year of the required professional experience
- Three (3) years or more of professional human resources work experience in recruitment and selection, classification and compensation, and/or human resources operations.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Carlos Cervantes, by telephone at (415) 554-2416, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Amended: 2/15/17 to reflect new 1244 job title & MQs
Amended: 2/10/17 - extended to broaden candidate pool
Re-issued: 4/4/17 to broaden applicant pool
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: TEX-1244-072910
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|