IS Business Analyst - Business Applications Team
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Date Opened||12/13/2017 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/8/2018 5:00:00 PM|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
IS Business Analyst - Business Applications Team (1052),
Department of Technology
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 57,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 132 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
When you join our team at SFUSD you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused organization that approaches public education as a social justice movement, requiring broad collaboration across an array of strategic partners. In 2014 SFUSD created an inspiring statement, Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission steeped in equity through education, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
As the IS Business Analyst - Business Applications Team (1052) you will report to the Principal IS Business Analyst for Business Applications, and be a part of the Department of Technology. You will help to lead the department in our transformational work to deliver on the promises outlined in both Transform Learning. Transform Lives. as well as our long-term, city-wide North Star, Vision 2025. This is an exciting role for someone who loves data and programming solutions, but who also appreciates teamwork and believes in the benefits of transparency.
We want a team player who will support our ongoing operations and help move us into the future. The ideal candidate will have at least intermediate technical skills, but most important will be an eagerness to learn new business practices and structures, and embrace large and complex projects with increasing responsibilities.
The three main responsibility areas for this role are:
● Support ongoing operations of our major HR, Financials, and Budget Systems
● Build reporting and business logic functionality in our major systems
● Support end users with questions about data and system functionality
Other responsibilities may include:
● Provide technical assistance and analysis for end users, managers, and power users related to the PeopleSoft Employee Information System (EIS), including HR, Benefits, Payroll, Salary, and all customizations of these applications
● Provide technical assistance and analysis for end users, managers, and power users related to Financial Applications (including PeopleSoft Financials v. 9.1, PeopleSoft EIS, custom applications built in Access, Excel, Google Sheets, and SAP/SuccessFactors)
● Develop complex queries reports using Crystal Reports, PeopleSoft Query, SQL, SQR, and other query designers
● Resolve errors in the EIS through workarounds, additional documentation, and/or programmatic changes
● Maintain security roles and permissions
● Identify opportunities to implement “best business practices” for improvement or automation of current practices and policies through technology
● Draft and maintain project planning documentation; coordinate personnel and other resources needed to complete the project
● Develop new systems, including complex Java, PeopleCode, SQL and SQR programming
● Plan and supervise user acceptance testing
● Develop training materials and conduct classroom and one-on-one training sessions with users and managers at all levels
● Evaluate vendor products, alternative solutions, and upgrade documentation
● Assist with the data collection for Budget Development and position management
● Manage help tickets in Zendesk on a variety of HR and financial systems
● Technical ability, especially in the following:
○ SAP/SuccessFactors is strongly desired
○ Synergy SIS
○ Java applications
○ Data conversion
○ Data integration
○ System integration
○ Ability to work with users to gather requirements
○ Report writing (beyond queries)
● Team-player qualities, such as:
○ Openness and transparency
○ Ability to communicate freely and readily
○ Team player
● Committed to SFUSD mission
● Advanced degree in computer science or business administration, or a related field
● Experience working in HR, finance, or technology department, particularly for a school district or government agency
● Experience working as part of an agile product team
● Process mapping and improvement experience
● Documentation and/or training experience
Summary: 3 years of paid, full time information systems experience (or its equivalent); 1 year of paid, full time IS experience AND an associate degree in computer science; or an equivalent combination of the above. See full details below.
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary of $74,888 - $91,069 annually, commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an
inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
● Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process.
San Francisco Unified School District is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. SFUSD does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.