5602 Utility Specialist - Power Operations
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||12/28/2017 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/29/2018 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$45.08 - $66.63/hour; $7,813.00 - $11,548.00/month; $93,756.00 - $138,580.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
This is a Position-Based Test conducted in accordance with CSC Rule 111A.
About the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
Our mission is to provide customers with high quality, efficient and reliable water, power, and sewer services in a manner that is inclusive of environmental and community interests, and sustains the resources entrusted in our care. We are comprised of three essential 24/7 service utilities: Water, Wastewater, and Power. We provide retail drinking water and wastewater services to San Francisco, wholesale water to three Bay Area counties, and green hydroelectric and solar power to San Francisco’s City facilities and properties. Headquartered in San Francisco, we have about 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $900 million.
Distributed Energy Resources
Under general administrative direction of the Manager of Distributed Energy Resources Projects, is broadly responsible for the planning, feasibility, development, design, and construction of renewable energy/energy efficiency capital projects for Power Enterprise.
Essential functions of this position include:
- Manage the planning, feasibility, development, design, and construction of renewable energy/energy efficiency capital projects
- Develop project budgets and spending plans as well the ability to track costs and invoices associated with various projects
- Work on various permitting issues as well as all aspects of project development including environmental issues to ensure projects are successfully developed and completed
- Reviews contract submittals, cost, and project schedules
- Communicate with project stakeholders, updating them of important project milestones and events
Origination & Power Supply
Under general administrative direction of the Manager of Origination and Power Supply, develop and negotiate long-term Power Purchase Agreements with energy suppliers. Work collaboratively with POU and CleanPowerSF staff to analyze supply needs and strategies. Assist with Integrated Resource Planning, executing short-term energy contracts. Assist with Professional Service and other contracting needs.
Essential functions of this position include:
- Manage procurement of short-term and long-term energy contracts
- Develop and issue RFPs for energy purchases
- Create reports, develop models and presentations
- Develop and manage professional service contracts
- Meet and/or negotiate with energy suppliers
- Liaison with PE work groups and City Attorney
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university preferably with major coursework in Law, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources, Computer Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or other field related to the utility business; AND
- Four years (4) of verifiable journey-level work experience in one or more of the following areas: planning, scheduling, cost estimating and resource projecting for mid to large scale projects; water supply management and planning; power operations planning and scheduling; analysis, interpretation and application of utility contracts and regulations in either water, power (electric and/or natural gas), telecommunications, or a wastewater program; utility market and environmental analysis and planning; power supply and transmission rates and contracts; generation, transmission or distribution planning and design; or long-term utility systems planning; AND
- Two years (2) of verifiable experience in energy efficiency, renewable energy, and/or power generation, distribution and transmission and/or natural gas operations
SUBSTITUTION: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
The above minimum qualifications reflect the special condition associated with the position(s) to be filled. They may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this classification.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Janina Villanueva, by telephone at 415-554-1635, or by email at email@example.com.
Applicants will be prompted to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire that must be submitted during the online application process. The Supplemental Questionnaire has been designed to measure knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas which may include, but not be limited to: Knowledge of basic concepts and terminology related to utility agency operations and procedures; knowledge of contract and project management; ability to use independent judgmen; ability to conduct analyses, including financial, rate, and statistical analysis; ability to conduct research; and communications skills.
The supplemental questionnaire will be rated and scored. All relevant experience, education and/or training must be on the supplemental questionnaire in order to be reviewed in the rating process.
Note: Candidates must achieve a passing score on the selection component described above in order to move forward in the selection process.
Certification: The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Ten (10). Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
Eligible List: The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission. The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be of six (6) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director. Upon approval of the Human Resource Director (see Civil Service Rule 111A.26.5), the eligible list resulting from this announcement may be used by other departments that also use this classification or a similar classification. To find other Departments which use this classification, please see http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=13693. Search that document by title or job code to see which departments use the classification.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams:
Information regarding seniority credit can be found at:
Exam Type: CPE
Issued: December 28, 2017
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 080586
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|