0933 Manager V, Landscape Architecture Division Manager
Building, Design and Construction
|Department||San Francisco Public Works|
|Date Opened||8/28/2017 3:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$65.18 - $83.19/hour; $11,297.00 - $14,419.00/month; $135,564.00 - $173,030.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
This announcement is amended to extend the filing period. Interested applicants are encouraged to FILE IMMEDIATELY. Receipt of applications will be cut off, suspended or closed when there are sufficient number of qualified applicants
This is a Position Based Test conducted in accordance with Civil Service Rule 111A.
Public Works is an organization that provides full architectural and engineering services to City departments. The Landscape Division provides design services and urban design on a wide range of projects. We are currently recruiting for a Senior Division Manager to lead the Landscape Architecture division, which is comprised of approximately 25 landscape architects and support staff. The Landscape division is responsible for designing parks, playgrounds, recreation centers, streetscapes, and plazas.
We are seeking motivated candidates who have a strong management, project delivery and landscape architectural skills. The successful candidate should have extensive expertise in managing staff, human resources, organizational development as well as the field of Landscape Architecture.
The Landscape Architecture Division is organized into three studio groups based on clients and project types: 1) Recreation and Park Studio Group, 2) Urban Design Studio Group, and 3) Streets and Highways/Green Infrastructure Studio Group.
The Division Manager is responsible for leading the three studio groups; provides direction on the design and construction of major landscape projects in connection with city streets, parks, playgrounds, plazas, and historical monuments; manages and directs the activities of professional landscape architecture personnel through design, construction documents, and construction administration of multiple projects; provides administrative functions in connection with the design, construction, operation and maintenance of projects and systems; supervises and/or directs subordinates in the preparation of designs, drawings, specifications and cost estimates for a variety of landscape architectural design and construction projects and/or construction inspection or personnel engaged in the professional landscape architectural work in the field and office; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential functions of this job include, but is not limited to:
1. Plans, monitors, evaluates, and supervises the operation of the landscape division at Public Works; advises and consults with section managers and/or studio leaders; meets with appropriate staff to identify and resolve problems or conflicts; makes or recommends final decisions regarding policy, operations, and administrative procedures.
2. Directs the preparation of monthly status reports and statistics related to the Landscape Division.
3. Monitors the work of and coaches employees to improve performance.
4. Participates in the development of strategies and goals that support the Public Works’ strategic plan. Interfaces with senior and executive levels of city government and outside agencies.
5. Represents the division or department when coordinating for projects and in meetings involving appeals, administrative systems, policies or procedures. Communicates regularly and effectively with executive management orally through presentations and in writing reports.
6. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of the division; works with senior managers to develop staffing levels, financial systems, and other internal operations; identifies and recommends alternative approaches or improvements.
7. Directs the allocation of resources to meet client department needs. Develops solutions to meet competing priorities and provides direction on the implementation of staffing strategies.
8. Oversees and administers division budget; directs and monitors expenditures in accordance with the approved budget; and provides executive management with an early warning and practical options to potential cost overruns.
9. Achieves measurable results through clear, timely direction to staff, including communication of mission, strategy, goals, budget, and other essential information by managing section/division/bureau/program expenditures and revenues to meet approved budget, and reviewing budget performance with managers and supervisors at least quarterly.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s or a Master's degree from an accredited college or university with major course works in landscape architecture; AND
- Possession of a certificate of Registration as a Professional Landscape Architect; AND
- Eight (8) years of verifiable professional landscape architecture work experience, of which four (4) years of that experience must be as a licensed professional landscape architect, including three (3) years of experience in a supervisory role.
Qualifying experience must have been obtained within the last ten years.
Applicants must meet the meet the minimum qualifications requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Twelve (12) plus years of relevant landscape architecture experience, with a strong background in managing large teams and/or principal in a landscape architectural firm.
- Solid understanding and verifiable experience in administrative and functional management of a large team of staff, including human resources, performance planning and organizational development.
- Over five (5) years overseeing landscape architectural staff in delivering projects at all scales and leading multiple project teams with a high standard of design excellence.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Project management experience.
- Extensive experience with design and delivery of large-scale, programmatically complex projects.
- Experience as a collaborative team leader or ability to develop and maintain excellent Client relationships across the department, consultants and other key constituents.
- Ability to maintain a successful relationship and interface regularly with the Civic Design Review Board, participating in monthly informal and formal design reviews of all projects.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, be articulate and have the ability to work and lead effectively in a team environment.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
In addition to completing an online CCSF application, you must submit the following in pdf format by the filing deadline: 1) copy of California Landscape Architecture License; 2) cover letter describing how you meet the Minimum Qualifications and Desirable Qualifications ; 3) resume; and 4) PDF Portfolio showing your best work (10 pages maximum).
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Angie Ignao by telephone at (415) 554-6107, or by email at email@example.com
Applicants may be required to submit verification of the qualifying experience and education, at any point in the application, examination or departmental selection process. Resumes are not verification documentation. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456 . Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco. .
Management Test Battery: (Weight: 40%)
Candidates will be invited to participate in a computer-based examination designed to measure competencies in job-related areas which may include but not be limited to: Problem Solving; Leadership; Decision Making; Interpersonal skill; Human Resources Management; Team Building; Communication; Conflict Management and Process Improvement. For more information about this Management Test (and a suggested reading list) please visit: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=343. Please note: this examination is only held in San Francisco.
A passing score must be achieved on the Management Test Battery in order to continue in the selection process.
This is a standardized examination and, therefore, test questions and answers are not available for public inspection or review.
Scores attained on the Management Test Battery will be valid and 'banked' for three years, starting from the date of the examination. This means that, during this three-year time period, you will not be required to take the Management Test Battery. The Management Test Battery may be used for many other classes; therefore your test score may be applied to one or more of these classes if you choose to apply to future recruitments. If the selection process for the future announcement is held within one year of the date of this examination and it includes the Management Test Battery, your score will be automatically applied to that announcement. However, after one year, you have the option to either (a) apply your test score to the other announcement or (b) re-take the Management Test Battery. Re-testing is permitted no sooner than one year from the date of the examination and only in association with your eligibility for another announcement for which the Management Test Battery is used. Please note that, should you re-test, your re-test score would become your official score since it is the most recent.
Supplemental Questionnaire: (Weight: 60%)
Candidates will be prompted to complete a supplemental questionnaire as part of the online employment application process. The supplemental questionnaire is designed to measure knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in job-related areas which may include, but not be limited to: technical knowledge of landscape architectural theory, practices and procedures, analytical ability, management ability, supervisory ability, human relations ability, written communication ability. The supplemental questionnaire will be evaluated and scored. All responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire are subject to verification and should be consistent with the information provided in your application. Failure to submit the supplemental questionnaire may result in disqualification from the examination process. Applicants must submit the best examples of their work from their portfolio in PDF format (10 pages maximum) and keep the submittal under 8 megabytes
Note: Candidates must achieve a passing score on both the Management Test Battery and the Supplemental Questionnaire Evaluation in order to be ranked on the eligible list.
The certification rule for the ranked eligible lists resulting from this examination will be Rule of the List. The department may administer additional position-specific selection procedures to make final hiring decisions.
Eligible List: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#eligiblelists
The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission. The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 12 months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Upon approval of the Human Resource Director (see Civil Service Rule 111A.26.5), the eligible list resulting from this announcement may be used by other departments that also use this classification or a similar classification. To find other Departments which use this classification, please see http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=21246. Search that document by title or job code to see which departments use the classification.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Reasonable Accommodation Request: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
Veteran’s Preference: Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#veteranspreference
Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams: Information regarding requests for seniority credit can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#senioritycredit
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
Terms of the Announcement: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#announcementsdefinitions
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States
COMBINED PROMOTIVE AND ENTRANCE
Issued: August 28, 2017
Amended: September 5, 2017 to reflect a change in the minimum qualifications
Amended: September 15, 2017 to extend filing deadline
Micki Callahan, Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID: PBT-0933-076179
MCCP No. 90-089
GSA - AI (415) 554-6107
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|