0931 Manager III - Reconciliation and Financial Audits Manager
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||1/19/2017 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/4/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$113,672.00 - $145,106.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
Deadline extended 3/1/2017 to broaden applicant pool.
REISSUED 2/2/2017 to broaden applicant pool.
REISSUED 4/20/2017 to update position description and broaden applicant pool.
This is a Position-Based Test conducted in accordance with CSC Rule 111A.
About the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
Our mission is to provide customers with high quality, efficient and reliable water, power, and sewer services in a manner that is inclusive of environmental and community interests, and sustains the resources entrusted in our care. We are comprised of three essential 24/7 service utilities: Water, Wastewater and Power. We provide retail drinking water and wastewater services to San Francisco, wholesale water to three Bay Area counties, and green hydroelectric and solar power to San Francisco’s municipal departments and tenants and redevelopment areas. Headquartered in San Francisco, we have about 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $900 million. There is currently one vacant 0931 Manager III position (Accounting Services Manager) within the Finance Services Division of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.
Under direction, the Reconciliation and Financial Audits Manager is a leadership role responsible for overseeing staff performing accounting, general ledger account reconciliation, debt accounting, capital project & grant accounting, financial statements and audits of the three utility enterprises. This role is accountable to ensure efficient and effective use of resources in maintaining financial integrity and strong internal controls, in compliance with policies and procedures to meet short-term and long-term objectives. This position is located at 525 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA. Essential functions include:
- Maintains the “financial control environment” of the three utility enterprises through ongoing refinement of the accounting policies and procedures; provides guidance and direction to ensure consistent and strong financial internal controls.
- Directs mission critical financial or operational activities, using financial systems and related applications to ensure efficient and accurate application of financial transactions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB).
- Maintains and develops accounting and financial policies, procedures, and methodologies; identifies problems and implements changes to current financial policies and procedures; makes policy recommendations based on GASB and GAAP accounting standards, administrative policies, practices, and procedures; analyzes, evaluates, interprets, and implements new and existing governmental accounting pronouncements and technical guidance.
- Makes written and oral recommendations on complex administrative and fiscal issues. Leads and motivates staff to improve performance; ensures that staff is trained and adhering to best practices of accounting and financial management.
- Supports department effort associated with implementation of citywide financial system replacement project.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The normal annual salary range is $110,188.00-$140,608.00. Appointment above the maximum of the normal range may be considered based on documented and substantiated recruitment and retention issues or exceptional skills. A special approval process is necessary for appointment above the normal salary range. In addition to competitive salaries, the City offers flexible benefit plans with pre-tax elections which include: medical and dental insurance, Retirement Plan; 457 Deferred Compensation Plan; Social Security; Long-term Disability Plan; Life Insurance; paid Management Training program; 11 paid holidays per year; 5 floating holidays per year; 10 to 20 vacation days per year, depending on years of service; and may earn up to 100 hours paid administrative leave per year.
The ideal candidate will possess exceptional financial acumen with demonstrated successful leadership and oversight of finance, accounting, auditing and administrative activities, including strong decision making skills, within a large, diverse and dynamic agency or corporation. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record and ability to exercise the following competencies:
- Accountability - Including integrity, honesty, and fairness; inspires trust; clearly defining roles and responsibilities for self and others; holding others to their roles and responsibilities; complying with legal and ethical guidelines; acting as a responsible steward of the resources entrusted to the SFPUC.
- Adaptability - Adjusting, persevering, and succeeding in meeting objectives despite rapidly shifting environment, demands, and resources; reacting appropriately to changing conditions or priorities; altering approaches to most effectively address different situations and people; responding positively to tasks and situations outside of comfort zone.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving - Taking ownership of problems and making responsible, transparent, and clear decisions; involving others in addressing problems and seeking solutions; gathering relevant information and conducting appropriate analyses; understanding the impact of decisions.
- Motivation - Creating an environment where people are inspired to pursue their highest levels of performance; identifying and promoting methods for motivating self and others.
- Relationship Management - Building open, honest, and respectful relationships through effective communication and collaboration techniques; developing networks and lasting partnerships across boundaries to maintain strategic relationships and achieve common goals; utilizing a variety of communication approaches to successfully gain support, influence others, and strengthen relationships.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in business administration, finance, public administration, economics, or a related field; AND
- Five (5) years of responsible professional experience in the areas of finance or budget services for a large and/or complex department or organization including financial reporting, budget preparation, financing, and/or financial analysis including at least three (3) years of responsible supervisory / management experience; AND
- Possession of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Experience in identifying and implementing business process efficiencies.
- Proficiency with financial statements and audits.
- Possession of a Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Melissa Biascan, by telephone at (415) 554-1641, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application, examination and/or departmental selection process.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
MANAGEMENT TEST BATTERY (Weight 40%)
Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a computer-based examination designed to measure competencies in job-related areas which may include but not be limited to: Problem Solving, Leadership, Decision Making, Interpersonal Skill, Human Resources Management, Team Building, Communication, and Conflict Management. For more information about this Management Test (and a suggested reading list) please visit: http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=14491. Please note: this examination is only held in San Francisco.
A passing score must be achieved on the Management Test Battery in order to continue in the selection process.
This is a standardized examination, and therefore, test questions and answers are not available for public inspection or review.
Scores attained on the Management Test Battery will be valid and "banked" for three years, starting from the date of the examination. This means that, during this three-year time period, you will not be required to take the Management Test Battery. The Management Test Battery may be used for many other classes; therefore your test score may be applied to one or more of these classes if you choose to apply to future recruitments. If the selection process for the future announcement is held within one year of the date of this examination and includes the Management Test Battery, your score will be automatically applied to that announcement. However, after one year, you have the option to either (a) apply your test score to the other announcement or (b) re-take the Management Test Battery. Re-testing is permitted no sooner than one year from the date of the examination and only in association with your eligibility for another announcement for which the Management Test Battery is used. Please note that, should you re-test, your re-test score would become your official score since it is the most recent.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE (Weight 60%)
Applicants will be prompted to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire that must be submitted during the online application process. The Supplemental Questionnaire has been designed to measure the knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas required for the position which may include but not be limited to: Management/Administrative Knowledge, Analytical Ability, Written Communication Skills, Interpersonal/Collaborative Ability, Project Management; Adaptability, ability to identify and implement efficient and streamlined business processes; ability to apply complex accounting and auditing functions in a large division or department; ability to apply principles and practices of GAAP and GASB; ability to identify, analyze and report upon activities, issues, and problems and recommend appropriate solutions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; ability to manage, supervise, train, and coordinate staff; written communication ability; and knowledge of business and financial analysis, concepts and techniques. All responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire are subject to verification and should be consistent with the information provided in your application. Candidate scores on this examination may also be applied to other announcements involving other job titles, when directed by the Human Resources Director.
Candidates will be ranked on the eligible list based on the scores received on the ManagementTest Battery and Supplemental Questionnaire Examination. Candidates must achieve a passing score on all components of the selection procedures to be placed on the eligible list.
Certification: The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of the List. The hiring department may conduct additional selection processes to make final hiring decisions.
Eligible List: The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission. The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 12 months and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Upon approval of the Human Resource Director (see Civil Service Rule 111A.26.5), the eligible list resulting from this announcement may be used by other departments that also use this classification or a similar classification. To find other Departments which use this classification, please see http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=13693. Search that document by title or job code to see which departments use the classification.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams:
Information regarding seniority credit can be found at:
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Exam Type: CPE
Issued: January 19, 2017, REISSUED 2/2/17, Amended 3/1/2017, 4/20/17
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 073053
PUC/ MB / (415) 554-1641
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|