Recreation and Park Department ONLY
|Department||Recreation and Parks|
|Date Opened||3/20/2017 10:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$27.69 - $33.66/hour; $4,799.00 - $5,835.00/month; $57,590.00 - $70,018.00/year|
|Job Type||Continuous CBT|
This announcement may close at any time but no sooner than Friday March 31, 2017
This exam process will be used to fill current vacancies at Recreation and Parks Department only.
Under supervision, this position performs routine maintenance and landscaping renovation tasks to care for athletic fields, squares, parks, playgrounds, stadiums, thoroughfares, medians, natural areas and/or other landscaped areas. Essential functions of this class include: preparing soil by rototilling, spading and fertilizing; maintaining plants by planting, transplanting, cultivating, irrigating and pruning; identifying a large variety of plant material and their cultural requirements; identifying pests and diseases, performing techniques such as Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to control or mitigate the pests and diseases; maintaining lawns by raking, edging, mowing, watering, weeding, aerating, fertilizing, and over seeding; implementing habitat restoration and wildlife enhancement projects; maintaining grounds by clearing brush and debris, sweeping and raking public activity areas, cleaning up litter and clearing drains; changing sprinkler heads when required; operating power and manual equipment and/or tools such as mowers, watering equipment, gopher traps, and other types of gardening equipment and/or tools; performing routine maintenance on landscaping equipment and/or tools to ensure they are in good working condition; and performing general maintenance tasks on grounds and facilities to ensure clean and safe premises. May be assigned to work with and/or direct the work of park volunteers, and perform other job duties as required.
Working Conditions: The nature of the work may require exposure to inclement weather conditions and may require exposure to hazardous conditions and/or materials which may include feces and/or urine, used syringes, etc. All positions require driving. Some positions may require riding mowers and driving small utility vehicles. Some positions may require heavy lifting up to 50 lbs. Some positions may require weekend or shift work.
- Three years of verifiable experience in the care, construction or maintenance of landscaped areas by planting, weeding, fertilizing, irrigating, pruning, and controlling pests in the following areas: sports and athletic natural turf fields, golf courses, parks, ornamental gardens, arboreta, greenhouses, nurseries, botanical gardens and/or public landscaped areas; OR
- Possession of a Certificate of Achievement from an accredited college or university in horticulture, landscaping, gardening, nursery and garden center operation, commercial cut flower and greenhouse production or related field and two years of verifiable experience in the care, construction or maintenance of landscaped areas by planting, weeding, fertilizing, irrigating, pruning, and controlling pests in the following areas: sports and athletic natural turf fields, golf courses, parks, ornamental gardens, arboreta, greenhouses, nurseries, botanical gardens and/or public landscaped areas; OR
- Possession of an Associate of Arts or Science degree from an accredited college or university in horticulture, landscaping, gardening, nursery and garden center operation, commercial cut flower and greenhouse production or related field and 18 months of verifiable experience in the care, construction or maintenance of landscaped areas by planting, weeding, fertilizing, irrigating, pruning, and controlling pests in the following areas: sports and athletic natural turf fields, golf courses, parks, ornamental gardens, arboreta, greenhouses, nurseries, botanical gardens and/or public landscaped areas; OR
- Currently employed in a gardener apprenticeship program approved by the State of California Division of Apprenticeship Standards and satisfactorily completed at least 2,000 hours in this program; AND
- Possession of a valid California driver license.
1. Eligibles reached for employment by a department must be insurable under the department’s automobile liability insurance policy. After employment, employees must maintain insurability and valid driver license.
2. Ability to safely and correctly lift, drag and/or move with assistance large and/or heavy plants and equipment to truck bed level, and the ability to kneel, bend and squat for considerable periods of time. The probationary period will be used to evaluate this qualification.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
• Select the desired job announcement (CCT-3417-060208)
• Select "Apply" and read and acknowledge the information
• Select either "I am a New User" if you have not previously registered, or "I have Registered Previously"
• Follow instructions on the screen
Computer kiosks are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources at One South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Lisa Nakamura at (415) 831-2735, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Training and Experience Evaluation: (Weight – 100%)
Applicants will be prompted to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire that must be submitted during the online application process. Candidates’ responses to the supplemental questionnaire will be evaluated to determine their relative knowledge, skills and abilities in job-related areas, which have been identified as critical for this position. All candidates’ responses to the supplemental questionnaire are subject to verification.
Candidate scores on this examination may also be applied to other announcements involving other job titles, when directed by the Human Resources Director. Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
Certification: The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Ten Scores. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
Eligible List: The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission. The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be of six (6) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Drug Testing Requirement: Applicants for positions in this classification who are not currently employed by the City and County of San Francisco in a safety-sensitive position represented by Laborers International Union Local 261 (LiUNA), are required to pass pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. All employees in this classification may also be subject to drug and alcohol testing upon reasonable suspicion or after a work-related accident. Applicants with a positive result from a pre-employment drug test will be restricted from hire in safety-sensitive positions for six months after the date of the positive test.
Physical Examination: Before appointment, selected eligible candidates must pass a thorough physical examination by the Department Physician. This exam includes a urine test to screen for the presence of drugs or alcohol. Appointees must also pass an additional physical exam prior to the completion of their probationary periods.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Requests: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#applicantswithdisabilities
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at: http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#veteranspreference.
Disaster Service Workers
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.] The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Issued: April 12, 2013; Reissued: December 8, 2015; March 22, 2017
Micki Callahan, Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: CCT-3417-060208
REC/LN (415) 831-2735
Clerically amended on March 24, 2014 to accurately reflect exam type
Clerically amended on July 7, 2014 to accurately reflect working conditions and terms of announcement
Clerically amended on April 30, 2015 to accurately reflect terms of announcement
Amended on May 15, 2015 to extend filing deadline; Amended on June 4, 2015 to extend filing deadline; Amended on October 31, 2106 to accurately reflect terms of announcement
Amended on November 15, 2016 to extend filing deadline
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|