3410 Apprentice Gardener
|Specialty||Department of Public Works|
|Department||General Services Agency|
|Date Opened||12/20/2011 11:59:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/27/2011 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$39,650.00 - $57,694.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
The Apprentice Gardener is a trainee classification that performs routine and basic duties to assist Gardeners in the care of squares, parks, thoroughfares, medians and/or other landscaped areas. Under direct supervision, learns to perform care and maintenance of a variety of plants and landscaped areas, including planting, pruning and pest control; removes debris and litter; operates hand or power lawn mower; performs routine maintenance of tools and equipment; and performs related duties as required.
Assigned duties increase in scope and difficulty as the Apprentice Gardener demonstrates skills in performing diverse duties that are learned through an on-the-job training rotation. Work is performed under direct supervision and is evaluated on the basis of progress in a structured work experience training programs. Demonstrated competence and successful completion of the structured training program leads to meeting the minimum qualifications for the promotional class of Gardener.
Failure to achieve demonstrated competence and acceptable work habits or the inability to complete the training program within two (2) years results in loss of employment in the 3410 class. The appointing officer may provide an extension of time to complete the training program, however, appointments to this class cannot exceed 3 years
WORKING CONDITIONS: The nature of the work may require exposure to inclement weather conditions and may require exposure to infectious and/or hazardous materials and/or conditions. Some positions may require driving. Some positions may require riding mowers and driving small utility vehicles. Some positions may require heavy lifting up to 50 lbs. Some positions may require weekend or shift work.
1. Possession of a High School Diploma or proof of successful completion of an equivalency test (G.E.D. or California High School Proficiency Examination); AND
2. Six (6) months (1040 hours) of verifiable experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped general ground areas; AND
3. Meets all eligibility and entrance criteria for enrollment in the required Apprentice Gardener course work at City College of San Francisco. AND
4. Possession of a valid (Class C) California driver’s license.
- Verifiable experience in a physically demanding position (e.g., gardener, laborer, etc.);
- Ability to safely and correctly lift, drag and/or move with assistance large and/or heavy plants and equipment to truck bed level;
- Ability to kneel, bend and squat for considerable periods of time. (The probationary period will be used to evaluate this qualification.);
- New or continuing student status at City College of San Francisco.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted beginning Tuesday, December 20, 2011, and must be submitted along with the Supplemental Application and the required verifications no later than Tuesday, December 27, 2011.
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process.
Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so), and begin the application process.
Click and select 3410 Gardener - Apprentice (TEX –3410 – 058498)
Click "Apply" and read and acknowledge the information
Click on “I am a New User” If you have not previously registered, or on “I have Registered
Follow instructions on the screen
Computer kiosks are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Imelda F. Soliman-Voluntad at (415) 554-4825.
Applicants may submit verification documentation by:
1. Uploading the documents through JobAps; OR
2. Scanning the documents and send as an attachment to: email@example.com OR
3. Hand delivering the documents to: General Services Agency, Human Resources, Attention: Class 3410, 875 Stevenson Street, Room 470, San Francisco, CA 94103, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, except Monday, December 26, 2011. OR
4. Faxing the information to: GSA: (415) 554-4827: Attention: 3410
SUPPLEMENTAL QUSTIONNAIRE: All applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire. The purpose of the Supplemental Questionnaire is to evaluate the experience, knowledge, skills and abilities that candidates posses in job-related areas, which have been identified as critical for positions in class 3410 Apprentice Gardener. All candidates’ responses to the supplemental questionnaire are subject to verification.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT VERIFICATION (PROOF) OF POSSESSION OF A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVER’S LICENSE, QUALIFYING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE BY TUESDAY, DECEMBER 27, 2011.
- Verification of valid California driver’s license - Applicants must submit a legible copy of their driver's license with photograph clear and visible.
- Verification of experience must be submitted on employer's official letterhead, specifying name of the applicant, job titles(s), duties performed, dates of service, and must be signed by the employer or the employer's authorized representative.
- Verification of education (high school diploma, G.E.D. or California High School Proficiency Examination) - Applicants must submit a legible photocopy of their high school diploma, certificate of completion or college degree (if applicable).
Experience claimed in self-employment will only be considered if supported by documents verifying earnings and duties comparable to minimum qualifications listed above. Applicant must indicate details of all duties and experience used to meet the minimum qualifications on the application. Copies of income tax records, business license or other documents listing occupation and total earnings must be submitted.
Verification of experience may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement explaining the reason for the request for waiver. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to submit all required verification or request for waiver by Tuesday, December 27, 2011 may result in the rejection of the application.
Applicants will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those candidates most qualified will be invited to the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are NOT guaranteed advancement to the selection process.
Employment Information: The selected applicants for these positions will be required to pass a Pre-Employment drug test prior to appointment.
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Reasonable Accommodation Request:
Information on requesting reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities can be found at:
Terms of the Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting of the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at: www.jobaps.com/sf.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20, or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam records and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
Right to Work: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Announcement No.: TEX – 3410 --058498
Issued: December 20, 2011
GSA/ISV (415) 554-4825
Minorities, Women, and Persons with Disabilities are Encouraged to Apply
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Disaster Service Workers
Click on the link below to apply:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|