$33.60-$42.90 Hourly / $5,824.00-$7,436.00 Monthly / $69,888.00-$89,232.00 Yearly
"Class specifications shall be descriptive of the class and shall not be considered a restriction on the assignment of duties not specifically listed." (CSC Rule 7)
1. Receives training and assists in supervising prisoners and maintaining order in county jails; this may include but is not limited to: techniques of checking jail security hardware, such as doors, locks, and windows, for evidence of tampering or malfunction; techniques of prisoner movement control; techniques of cell searches and contraband detection; techniques of detecting and reporting criminal activity and violations of prisoner rules of conduct; and techniques of daily jail operations.
2. Receives training and assists in collecting and handling of prisoner property, clothing, and money; distribution and handling of jail clothing and bedding; supervision of prisoner work crews in culinary, laundry, janitorial, stock handling, garbage, farm, and other jail details.
3. Receives training and assists in booking, classifying, and release of prisoners; and preparing, retrieving, and maintaining other jail records.
4. Receives training in and assists with the use of restraint gear and restraint techniques, non-lethal chemical agents, defensive tactics, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and other first aid.
5. May receive training in techniques of supervision of mentally ill persons in custody.
6. May receive training in techniques of arrest, collection and preservation of evidence, and preparation of accompanying documents.
7. May receive training in the use of firearms, baton, and other weapons in compliance with existing laws, policies, and procedures.
Requires ability to: deal tactfully and courteously with the public; control prisoners individually and in groups and deal with them on a fair and impartial basis; remain alert at all times and react quickly and calmly in an emergency; speak and write effectively; observe situations and write reports accurately and concisely; prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
Special Requirement: Prior to appointment, a candidate must successfully meet the requirements of San Francisco Sheriff's Department administered background investigation. Additionally, appointees to positions in this class are required to successfully complete the course requirements of a State of California Certified Peace Officers Standards and Training Academy, a State of California Certified Basic Jail Training Course, the San Francisco Sheriff's Department Training Program, and an 18-month probationary evaluation period, with overall performance ratings of Competent and Effective, or above.