$16.81-$26.85 Hourly / $2,914.00-$4,654.00 Monthly / $34,970.00-$55,848.00 Yearly
According to Civil Service Commission Rule 9, the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this class and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
1. Assists individually, or as part of a crew, in sweeping and removal of litter in assigned areas; screening of sandboxes for glass and litter; depositing of debris in plastic bags for pickup; and loading of debris on various clean-up trucks such as pickups, flatbeds, dump trucks, and refuse packer trucks.
2. Mixes paints and cleaners according to instructions; scrapes, scours and soda-blasts areas and materials; and applies paint for graffiti removal jobs on a variety of clean-up and graffiti removal jobs.
3. Assists laborer and gardener classes in removing of vegetation and debris from planted areas; weeding; preparing ground for planting; moving/trimming of lawns; operating power lawn mower on lawns and erosion slope areas; pruning trees and plant material with hand and power equipment; watering planted areas with hoses or automatic sprinklers; planting trees; shrubs and groundcover; trapping rodents.
4. Assists in responding to specific service requests generated by the public, department or other City agency.
5. Cleans surface areas around street catch-basins and drainage grates.
6. Loads and unloads materials, supplies, and equipment on and off trucks in proper and safe manner.
7. Operates power equipment (e.g., high-pressure hot water washers and steam cleaners, compressors, soda-blasting units, chain saws); a variety of small hand tools; lawn mowers, and a computerized color-matching system.
8. Assists craft workers by performing various non-technical tasks.
9. Assists in setting up traffic barricades and lights on work sites in a safe and proper manner; may serve as flag operator as required.
10. Assists laborer and gardener classes in making minor repairs and adjustments to landscape irrigation systems, mower equipment, and hoses.
11. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
"The examination announcement shall provide the qualifications .... and other particulars....
Applicants must be guided solely by the examination for which they apply." (CSC Rule 10)
Ability to: Requires ability to learn the proper methods used in cleaning and litter/vegetation removal, light maintenance and repair, loading/unloading debris and materials; graffiti removal; and general ground maintenance; use tools and equipment properly including the operation of power equipment (e.g., high-pressure hot water washers, steam cleaners, compressors, soda-blasting units, chain saws, lawn mowers); correctly lift equipment and heavy debris bags to truck bed level and read and write simple reports.
Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment: Considerable physical effort, i.e., kneeling, bending and squatting for considerable periods of time; occasional exposure to rain, other inclement weather conditions and somewhat disagreeable working conditions.