Executive Director, Real Estate Commission
|Department||DLLR - Occupational and Professional Licensing 1|
|Date Opened||9/6/2017 3:40:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/27/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$74,000 - $91,107.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Ernestine Hyman|
The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing is seeking executive level candidates for the position of Executive Director of the Maryland Real Estate Commission. Resumes and Cover Letters should be sent to the following email address in c/o Victoria Wilkins, Commissioner:
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The executive director of the Maryland Real Estate Commission (MREC) is responsible for the unit that oversees the qualification, examination, licensing and regulation of 44,000 real estate brokers, associate brokers and salespersons. The secretary of the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR) appoints the executive director from a list of three nominees submitted by the commission.
Candidates are required to possess a broad knowledge of generally accepted practices in the real estate business in the state and be reasonably well-informed of the general laws that govern agency and contracts for the conveyance or leasing of real estate. If the executive director is licensed as a real estate broker, associate broker or salesperson at the time of hiring, he will need to give up the license during the period of employment. Licensing and regulation is accomplished in concert with the commission comprised of nine appointed members. Salary range: $74,000-$91,000 commensurate w/qualifications and experience.
Supervision and Responsibilities
● A senior leadership position in the division of Occupational and Professional Licensing, supervises a staff of seventeen employees and is responsible for an annual budget in excess of $2 million.
● Manages all activities related to licensing, investigations, continuing education support, public outreach and advocacy, licensee communications, commission and staff training, and acquisition of equipment and supplies.
● Directs the preparation of agendas, minutes and related materials for distribution for each commission meeting. Informs the commission of current issues, agency reports and special interest subjects.
● Coordinates action items arising from commission meetings with agency staff, the attorney general’s office and other DLLR staff to ensure timely completion.
● Develops and disseminates commission information to ensure effective communication with citizens, licensees and professional organizations, including: mailings and website posting of public notices, changing state and federal laws, regulations, code of ethics, public advocacy brochures, press releases, fact sheets, newsletters, and information pertaining to public access to the online license system.
● Supervises the processing of license applications, license denials and reinstatements to ensure that applications are processed in accordance with legal requirements and procedures.
● Assists the commission and department counsel in drafting legislative and regulatory proposals to establish and clarify real estate laws in accordance with administration policies, guidelines and approval.
● Acts as the chief representative of the commission to other governmental agencies, the public and the industry in order to ensure consistency of information provided.
● Represents the commission and DLLR at regional and national conferences to ensure the commission’s exposure to trends, as well as information and practices enhancing the effectiveness and utility of commission activity.
● Manages the processing of approximately 700 complaints annually including intake, review, dismissal, investigation or adjudication of complaints filed by consumers, other licensees or government agencies against licensees or applicants.
● Prepares various statistical, annual and special reports for review as required by the administration and Maryland General Assembly.
● Drafts correspondence in response to citizens, legislators or external organizations for signature of the commissioner, secretary or governor.
● Coordinates responses to requests for information from legislators, the media, citizens and the industry to ensure responsiveness, accuracy and conformity with the Maryland Public Information Act
● Prepares, reviews and audits fiscal data related to approximately 200 annual Guaranty Fund claims and 100 civil fine recoveries.
● Monitors, reviews and assigns activities of staff auditor in handling of approximately 1,500 audits of real estate brokers’ escrow accounts annually.
● Completes assignments from the office of the commissioner and the office of the secretary.
- The successful candidate must possess at a minimum, a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and have at least four years of practical experience in professional work. Documented professional experience of four years or more may be substituted for college degree requirements.
- Of the four years of practical experience in professional work, candidates must have two years of management experience.
- Candidates must also have two years of customer service experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
It is preferred that the successful candidates has experience
- Managing a real estate office or in a business associated with real estate transactions.
- Experience with government regulatory entities is desirable.
- Candidates who possess practical experience in real estate work will be given preference.
- Candidates who possess experience in regulatory matters will receive additional consideration.
- Experience with public speaking is preferred.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
All information concerning the qualifications, including any required documentation (diploma, transcript, certificate, etc.) must be submitted and received by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be considered.
For positions that require Bachelor/Master Degree etc: Educational credentials from foreign countries must be evaluated by an approved education review service. This evaluation must be submitted with your application. For further information, you may call International Consultants of Delaware, Inc. (302) 737-8715 or World Education Services Inc. 1-800-932-3897 or (202) 331-2925.
If you are unable to apply online, or encounter difficulty attaching required or optional documentation, you may submit via mail or deliver in person. Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number on any documentation to ensure timely processing.
PLEASE DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL UNSOLICITED DOCUMENTATION
Completed applications, required documentation, and any required addendums may be mailed to:
DLLR Office of Human Resources
Attn: Ernestine Hyman 17-006296-0002
1100 N. Eutaw Street, Rm. 101
Baltimore, MD 21201
For further information regarding this recruitment, please contact Ernestine Hyman at 410-230-6298 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of DLLR that all persons have equal opportunity and access to employment opportunities, services, and facilities without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|