HR OFFICER I
|Department||Department of Human Resources|
|Date Opened||6/6/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/20/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$41,358.00 - $53,431.00/year with potential growth to $65,827.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Kendra Young|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Montgomery County Office of Child Support Enforcement
51 Monroe Street, Suite 811
Rockville, MD 20850
Main Purpose of Job
To coordinate and maintain issues of personnel and employee relations. Responsibilities to include recruitment, reclassifications, performance evaluation planning, employee/employer relations, benefits liaison, and staff development.
Researches all issues involving employer/employee relations. Advises Managers of appropriate course of action, involving: staff counseling, disciplinary action, grievances, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), referrals to the Medical Director, Leave Bank, leave donations, leave usage, etc. Creates MS-22's for new positions and update existing MS-22's as required. Determine appropriate classification for new or evolving positions. Submit MS-22 and justification for re-classifications. Maintain schedule of staff to monitor eligibility for competitive and non-competitive re-classifications. Recruits for permanent and special appointment positions. Creates vacancy notices and local advertisements, review applications to determine if applicants meet qualifications. Schedules and conducts interviews, develops standard questions and rating sheets. Completes recruitment packets and submits to Human Resource Development and Training Recruitment Unit. Notifies Department of Human Resources (DHR) Personnel and Payroll of any staff terminations. Conducts exit conferences. Reviews all employee bi-weekly time and attendance sheets and submits to DHR Payroll. Submits bi-lingual pay forms for employees to payroll. Acts as liaison for employees to resolve any issues involving leave usage and balances and any payroll problems. Directs DHR Employees regarding benefits; liaison for Health Benefits, Retirement, Maryland Supplemental Retirement Plans (MSRP) and Public Employees Benefit Services Corp (PEBSCO).
Please describe in detail any job duties relating to the minimum qualifications stated and include any computer software experience (ex. Word, Excel, Access, etc.) used in each of the positions you held.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two years of professional HR experience involving recruitment and employment services, classification and compensation, employee relations, test development and validation, job analysis, job evaluation, salary administration, HR program evaluation, or HR policy formulation.
1. Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment and selection, classification, salary administration, employer relations, test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment procedures.
3. Thirty graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the fields of HR/personnel administration, human resources management, business administration, public administration, statistics, tests and measurements, psychology or a related field may be substituted for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classifications or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preferred candidates will have the following experience:
1. Experience with recruitment, including writing interview questions.
2. Experience with State classifications.
3. Experience with Employee Relations.
4. Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
5. Experience with JobAps and Workday systems.
6. Current or previous experience as an HR Officer.
7. Excellent communication skills.
8. Ability to multi-task.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best-Qualified, Better-Qualified or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for one year.
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred. If the online application process is not available, please send your paper application and supplemental questionnaire (if applicable) to:
DHR Examination Services Unit
Attention: Kendra Young
311 W. Saratoga Street, First Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
For questions concerning this position, please call 410-767-7316, toll-free: 1-800-332-6347.
Do not submit unsolicited documentation.
Resumes and copies of diplomas are not required for this examination process.
The paper application must be received by 5 PM on the closing date for the recruitment.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay, 1-800-925-4434.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.