Fiscal Services Admin III
Deputy Director of Fiscal Services
|Department||DGS Administrative Services|
|Date Opened||3/17/2017 2:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/31/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$56,743 - $73,946/year with progression to $91,107|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is located in the Fiscal Services Office of the MD Department of General Services in Baltimore City, Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
This is a Management Service position and serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
The main purpose of this position, Deputy Director, Fiscal Services Division, is to oversee the fiscal operations for the Department of General Services, (DGS). This position oversees the Budget unit, Capital Projects Accounting unit, Operations Accounting unit, Accounts Payable unit and Payroll unit. This position oversees general accounting, cash management, cash forecasting, financial reporting, working fund, payroll, time distribution, accounts payable and accounts receivable encompassing state, federal, reimbursable and special funds.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Participates in periodic meetings with officials and/or employees for the purpose of determining policy and coordinating all fiscal activities to reduce errors and avoid workload duplication.
- Plan, organize, supervise and approve in State Accounting System if necessary, the work of the unit managers and staff.
- Ensures that generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and State/Federal policies and procedures are followed.
- Addressing all audit findings from federal, state and independent auditors and for implementing the necessary corrective actions to eliminate the audit exception.
- Develops methods of operation and instructs all levels of management and staff in the optimal usage of the State's Financial Management Information System (FMIS). The Relational Standard Accounting and Reporting System (R*STARS) is a comprehensive financial management information system designed to meet the sophisticated accounting and reporting needs of the State of Maryland.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure appropriate policies, laws and regulations are followed.
- Coordinates and completes Statutory and GAAP Fiscal Year closeout.
- Serves as backup to Fiscal Services Director, if necessary.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, or a bachelor’s degree with 30 credit hours in accounting and related courses.
Experience: Four years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records, and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants with an advanced degree or CPA are preferred.
Working knowledge of the Relational Standard Accounting & Reporting System (R*STARS) is desired.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This recruitment is limited to applicants willing to accept employment in Baltimore City, Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
To submit additional information, please upload an attachment to your application.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-4986 for questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1207, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay