Senior Database Administrator
DATABASE SPECIALIST II
|Department||Worker's Compensation Commission|
|Date Opened||11/28/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/27/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00 - $64,902.00 starting with growth to $80,078.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher Barrett|
Make a difference while pursuing a career to match your passion. At WCC, we are collaborative, innovative, and excited about our work. We thrive on initiative, creativity and challenges to the status quo by employees who are valued and empowered. Proud of our achievements, we consider excellence a continuous journey…not a destination end point. This is public service today. If you've got the right stuff: strong MS SQL 2014 or newer database administration skills, experience, and a passion for your work, come journey with us.
The Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission seeks to secure the equitable and timely administration of the provisions of the Maryland Workers' Compensation law on behalf of its customer, the injured workers and their employers, by providing an efficient forum for the resolution of individual claims.
The Workers' Compensation Commission envisions a state wherein injured workers and employers are empowered to create an equitable partnership to facilitate prompt and fair resolution of workers' compensation matters.
Together we profoundly touch the lives of so many people and have enormous responsibility to the community by fulfilling our mission of securing equitable and timely administration of the law. The Commission continues to provide services to our constituent partners at a level rarely met throughout the United States. The professionalism, work ethic, and technological acumen manifest in our operations allows us to smoothly and effectively manage the challenges which invariably arise. Every division within the agency plays a vital role in keeping us in the forefront nationally...
ARE YOU READY TO MAKE A MEANINGFUL DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY AND PURSUE YOUR CAREER PASSION WITH A NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED LEADER?
LOCATION OF POSITION
Baltimore City, MD
Main Purpose of Job
The State of Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission is currently seeking an energetic and creative Senior Database Administrator (Sr DBA). The Sr DBA works as member of the IT team to develop, test, implement, and enhance the relational database components of software development projects for internal business units and external customers and stakeholders. Focus areas include delivering business efficiencies and ensuring high availability in support of the Agency's mission. You will develop data solutions to solve key business and compliance needs in an integrated and simple manner, building in extensibility and security, and balancing the need for flexibility and agility with conformance to best practices.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong customer focus and the ability to deliver effective technology solutions that also delight customers. Your flexibility and ability to apply other current IT skills and to adapt to a variety of related IT team assignments in addition to core Sr DBA responsibilities is highly desirable
· Work as part of a team to develop, implement and enhance, data structures, stored procedures and other relational database-related components of Microsoft .NET based Windows and web apps for WCC’s online services, case management, document management, and routing workflow environments
· Define and implement optimal data designs and structures based on workload, security requirements and other relevant factors
· Work with WCC business units on business metrics and data analysis, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) reporting, and transform and load projects using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
· Use highly effective oral and written communications skills to gather requirements, develop testing and end user training plans, obtain customer feedback, and to develop clearly written, understandable, and comprehensive technical and end user documentation for all assignments
· Provide database support for WCC’s Enterprise Modernization Project
· Provide second level technical support for complex database related issues
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or other information technology related field to include course work in database management systems.
Experience: One year of experience designing, developing, implementing, maintaining and controlling database management systems for computers.
Notes: 1. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate plus thirty credit hours from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or other information technology-related field to include course work in database management systems may be substituted for the required education.
2. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and one additional year of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining applications systems and programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or maintaining and modifying operating systems for computers may be substituted for the required education.
3. Experience operating computer systems; or scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining a tape library to process data on computer systems; or converting data from project specifications by developing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages may be substituted for high school education on a year-for-year basis.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Database Administration classifications or Database Administration specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
The following is a required qualification. Candidates MUST possess the following:
At least nine months' professional experience developing, testing, implementing, administering and maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or newer relational database management systems on Windows Server 2012 R2 or newer.
Completion of at least nine credit hours of coursework from an accredited college or university in relational database management systems development and administration using Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or newer
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Experience tuning t-SQL queries and indexes, troubleshooting data related issues, and working with data security and encryption techniques
· Highly effective oral and written communications skills including the ability to develop clearly written, understandable and complete English project/user documentation.
· Working knowledge of enterprise content management (ECM),case management, and/or document management systems
· Database design or administration experience on enterprise modernization/legacy transformation projects
· Experience administering Windows servers and PCs within an Active Directory forest using built in Windows MMC snap-ins and/or Powershell
· Experience developing web apps using Microsoft Visual Studio, ASP.NET, C#, MVC
· Experience developing data structures for apps using low-code/no-code solutions such as Bizagi Studio, OutSystems, Appian, Pega, Mendix
The examination will consist of a rating of your training and experience as provided with your application. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
If you are unable to apply online, or encounter difficulty attaching required or optional documentation, you may submit via mail or deliver in person. Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number on any documentation to ensure timely processing.
PLEASE DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL UNSOLICITED DOCUMENTATION
Completed applications, required documentation, and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Workers' Compensation Commission
10 E. Baltimore Street, 7th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The MD State Application Form can be found online.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|