IT TECHNICAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST II
|Department||DPSCS Information Technology & Communications Div|
|Date Opened||11/29/2017 4:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/13/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00/year (with potential for growth up to $80,078.00/year)|
|HR Analyst||Cynthia Wingate|
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire.
This is a position specific recruitment for the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services (DPSCS). The resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future recruitments for the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services (DPSCS). Applicants certified to this list will remain eligible for one year.
LOCATION OF POSITION
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21282
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to support the Department's mainframe Third-party software products, which entails the installation, performance and tuning of WebSphere MQ, IBI's FOCUS query software, Chicago Soft’s QuickRef, CASI’s Jes2Mail and Levi Ray & Shoup’ s VPS/LRS software on the IBM 2828 CPU.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
· Support the Department's messaging software, along with installing, customizing and supporting software products, which include, but are not limited to: FOCUS, QuickRef, Jes2Mail and VPS products.
· Experience with JCL and IBM utilities (IDCAMS etc.).
· General knowledge of IBM DB2, IMS and WebSphere software products.
· Configure and maintenance of DB2 and IMS database management systems utilizing SMP/E, TSO/E and JES2.
· Database Backup and recovery support for DB2 and IMS databases and VSAM files
· Assist in the performance of periodic and regular Disaster Recovery and fail-over tests.
· Provide coding of specially required programs.
· Advice the Operations, Programming, and Management sections of ITCD on the various technical questions regarding the operating system. Give informal classes to systems analysts and programmers on software products and operating system techniques.
· Aid in the preparation of system operating procedures for the Operations Section. Instruct operations on gathering data from computer malfunctions. The need to support a network 24 hours a day, seven days a week requires the total cooperation of all staff in times of malfunctions.
· Determine the cause of mainframe computer malfunctions.
· Experience in problem determination and analysis.
· Provides 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on-call service to a real time teleprocessing and a batch computer operations. Administer the functions necessary to provide computer system services and support for State, local, federal law enforcement communities.
· Participate in the evaluation process for the procurement of software, hardware, and contractual vendors.
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or other information technology related field to include course work in machine or assembler computer languages, and operating system and data communication technology for multipurpose, multi tasking computers.
Experience: One year of experience maintaining and modifying operating systems for multipurpose, multi tasking computers.
1. Thirty credit hours from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or other information technology related field to include course work in machine or assembler computer languages, and operating system and data communication technology for multipurpose multi tasking computers may be substituted for the required education.
2. One additional year of experience maintaining and modifying operating systems for multipurpose, multi tasking computers may be substituted for the required education.
3. Experience operating multipurpose, multi tasking computer systems; or scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining a tape library to process data on multipurpose, multi tasking computer systems; or converting data from project specifications by developing program code using third generation or other generally accepted computer programming languages; or designing, developing and maintaining communications networks may be substituted for high school on a year for year basis.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Computer Systems Operations classifications or Computer Systems Operations specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualifications. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
- Three years of experience in one or more of the following areas: Installing, maintaining, and monitoring any of the following software products, z/OS, Transaction Server (CICS), DB2, IMS, Websphere MQ , CA- LIBRARIAN, CA-Top Secret, CA-TLMS and BMC Control M. Experience should include the using of z/OS, JES2, ISPF, SMP/E, SDSF, TSO/E, TMON monitor products, SAS, AbendAid, Xpediter, CA-LIBRARIAN, CA-TLMS and CA-Top Secret.
- Experience in criminal justice information systems (Ex. - CJIS, etc.)
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Please make sure that you provide complete and accurate information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
To submit your qualifying documents, the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; If you are unable to apply online, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
ATTN: Cynthia Wingate
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309
Baltimore, MD 21215
For more information, please call 410-585-3060.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|