MUSIC THERAPIST II
|Department||MDH Spring Grove Hospital Center|
|Date Opened||9/6/2017 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/9/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$36,557.00 - $47,063.00/year, with potential growth to $57,808.00|
Spring Grove Hospital Center is the largest psychiatric hospital operated by the State of Maryland, with 377 beds. We are located in Catonsville, previously named by Money Magazine as one the best places to live! Convenient to DC, Baltimore and BWI airport, our 180-acre wooded campus feels more like a college setting. Our mission is to provide quality mental health services to patients from across the State.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive health benefits package, 11 paid holidays and 6 personal days annually, pension and retirement savings plans, training opportunities, free onsite parking and much more!
Spring Grove Hospital Center does not discriminate on the basis of immigration status, citizenship status, or national origin.
Join our team and be a part of the change!
LOCATION OF POSITION
MDH/Spring Grove Hospital Center, Rehab Services Department, Catonsville, Maryland
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to design, plan, implement, and evaluate a music therapy program to promote physical, cognitive, emotional, and social behavioral growth of the patients of Spring Grove Hospital Center(SGHC). THis position will plan and conduct music therapy interventions, utilizing music within a therapeutic relationship to assess behavioral strengthens/weaknesses, and address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals and enhance self-expression and positive coping styles. Additionally, this position will provide services to multiple units within the various levels of care in rehabilitation services. Lastly, this position will receive general supervision from the Activity Therapy Manager and is considered Emergency Essential.
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Music Therapy from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience performing music therapy work in the treatment of mentally ill, aged, physically ill or physically disabled patients or developmentally disabled clients.
1. Current certification as a Music Therapist from the American Music Therapy Association or the Certification Board for Music Therapists may be substituted for the required education. ***A copy of your current certification should accompany your completed application.***
2. Four years of experience as a professional music therapist, under the supervision of a licensed Occupational Therapist, licensed Physical Therapist or certified Activity Therapist, which included the responsibility for clients’ assessments and the planning, implementation, and evaluation of clients’ music therapy treatment in a mental health or developmental disability setting may be substituted for the required education. Experience assisting in these responsibilities will not be accepted as qualifying experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Therapy classification or Therapy specialty codes in the Music Therapy field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Employees in this classification may be required to successfully complete cardiopulmonary resuscitation training and maintain current certification.
3. Employees in positions at facilities with a swimming pool may be required to obtain Red Cross instruction and certification in Life Saving and Water Safety.
Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, will be required to provide the facility with a phone number at which they can be reached.
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview). Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added. Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. The paper application must be received by 5:00 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please fax requested information only to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.