CORRECTIONAL MAINTENANCE OFFICER I Maintenance Mechanic
|Department||DPSCS Capital Construction & Fac. Maintenance|
|Date Opened||12/26/2017 1:55:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/9/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$36,557.00 - $57,808.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cynthia Wingate|
The resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies in all Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services (DPSCS) facilities in the Baltimore City and Jessup,MD. Candidates in those areas that are interested in this position are encouraged to apply. Candidates must specify on their application which locations they are willing to work.
Applicants certified to this list will remain eligible for one year.
LOCATION OF POSITION
This recruitment will be used for multiple locations in Baltimore City and Jessup, MD (Howard County).
Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center (BCBIC)
300 E. Madison Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
Metropolitan Transition Center (MTC)
954 Forrest Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
Baltimore City Correctional Center (BCCC)
901 Greenmount Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21202
Jessup Correctional Institution (JCI)
7800 House of Correction Road, Jessup, MD 20794
Main Purpose of Job
Inmate Supervision: Maintains control and discipline among inmate workers; conducts searches for contraband items; administers verbal or written disciplinary actions to inmates for any violations of conduct standards. Enforces safety, sanitary, custody and security rules and regulations. Physically restrains inmates if necessary during fights or escape attempts. Maintains continual count of inmates assigned to work details supervised. Assigns installation maintenance or repair tasks to designated inmates performing at various levels of proficiency in the trade. Train and instructs inmates regarding methods and techniques, use of tools and equipment, and proper care of tools and equipment. Inspects and approves/disapproves all work performed by inmates for adherence to quality standards.
Administrative related functions: Estimates time, materials and supplies needed to conduct assigned maintenance or repair tasks. Orders supplies and materials needed. Keeps records of supplies and materials used; inventories materials on hand tools in use.
Performance of Trade – related functions: Personally performs certain installation, maintenance or repair tasks on building infrastructure. Plans and implements appropriate procedures, operates hand and power tools and equipment needed; maintains record of time, supplies and materials required. Escorts third party vendors and inspect completed work assignment.
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Two years of experience in the option for which application is made.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience in correctional institutional specialty codes in the criminal justice field of work at a rate of two years of military experience for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland prior to permanent appointment. Some positions in this classification may require the operation of a motor vehicle for the transportation of inmates or supplies. Employees assigned such duties will be required to acquire the appropriate Maryland driver's license.
2. Employees who have not already done so must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
3. Employees classified in the Refrigeration Mechanic option may be assigned duties which require the disposing or servicing of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess technician certification from an approved Environmental Protection Agency certifying organization as required by Section 608 of the Clean Air Act.
1. Selection standards for correctional officer certification are established by the Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
2. Employees are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, must provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
To submit qualifying documents, the preferred method is to upload them using the online application; however, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (enclose a cover sheet with your contact information, position name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed).
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing an application.
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred. If the online application process is not available, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire (by the closing date) to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination ATTN: Cynthia Wingate
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309 Baltimore, MD 21215
We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement. If you have any questions about this recruitment, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.