Director of Emergency Management
|Department||DGS Office of the Secretary|
|Date Opened||12/5/2017 4:50:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/20/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$56,743.00 - $73,946/year, with progression to $91,107.00|
|HR Analyst||Ari Ross|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is with the Department of General Services, Office of the Secretary, located at 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD.
Main Purpose of Job
The Director of Emergency Management leads all activities that involve non-emergency and emergency operations. In this role, the Director of Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating homeland security and emergency management operations, and briefing the Secretary and Deputy Secretary on these concerns and subsequent actions. This position also involves interaction and coordination with State agencies, contractors, and Federal and local agencies to ensure communication, consistency, and integration of program delivery, implementation, and reporting. The Director has broad responsibility for the emergency management operations throughout DGS. This includes but is limited to interacting extensively with outside public and private entities. The Director will work in conjunction with DGS senior staff during emergencies to provide leadership, ensure employee safety, preserve State property, minimize damages, and lead efforts to restore operations. This position will also function as the liaison between DGS, MEMA and other emergency personnel, to include statewide response and recovery contracts. The Director will also oversee corrective actions and associated timeline implementations.
The duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain and update all resource materials associated with emergency preparedness plans. Prepare emergency situation status reports that describe response and recovery efforts.
- Manage the Agency’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP).
- Represent DGS as its liaison to the Maryland Emergency Management Agency at the State Emergency Operations Center during training, exercises, and incident planning and response. Coordinate staffing during high-profile events and emergency responses.
- Represent DGS on several State committees, work groups and panels, including those assembled on short notice to deal with emergency situations.
- Design and administer emergency or disaster preparedness training for DGS senior staff that teach staff how to effectively respond to major emergencies and disasters.
- On call 24/7/365 for DGS emergency operations; including phone call notifications from all DGS divisions and notifications from other State and local jurisdictions.
Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Six years of experience in administrative staff or professional work. Two years of this experience must have involved one or more of the following: the supervision of other employees, overseeing and coordinating the general operations of a unit, applying rules and regulations, or exercising responsibility for the development of policies or procedures.
1. Additional experience in administrative staff or professional work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of 30 semester credit hours on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer involving staff work related to the administration of rules, regulations, policy, procedures and processes, or overseeing or coordinating unit operations or functioning as a staff assistant to a higher ranking commissioned officer on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
This position is open to applicants who meet the minimum and selective qualification(s) listed below. A selective qualification recruitment is conducted for positions when there is a specific or additional bona fide occupational qualification (i.e. knowledge, skill, or ability) required.
Three (3) years of the required general experience must include emergency management experience. This experience must include leading activities that involve emergency operations for an agency or organization, as well as experience briefing executive management on emergency situations, and coordinating with outside agencies and organizations on emergency operations.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The following skills and experience are strongly preferred:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient with Excel, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience preparing and giving presentations and leading training sessions for audiences of varying sizes.
- Experience creating reports and spreadsheets that accurately present complex data with multiple layers.
- Completion of Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This position is designated as emergency essential, and as such, is required to be on-call 24/7 to respond to emergency situations.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
To submit additional information, please upload an attachment to your application.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4988 with questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1207, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|