DJS YOUTH TRANSPORTATION OFFICER SUPERVISOR
|Department||DJS Western Region - Administration|
|Date Opened||3/7/2017 5:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/21/2017 11:45:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,880.00 - $61,691.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Rhonda Moody|
By law, DJS is a child-serving agency responsible for assessing the individual needs of referred youth and providing intake, detention, probation, commitment and after-care services. DJS collaborates with youth, families, schools, community partners, law enforcement and other public agencies to coordinate services and resources to contribute to safer communities.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Juvenile Services
Western Region - Cumberland HQ
1 James Day Drive
Cumberland, MD 21502
Main Purpose of Job
Responsible for overseeing the transportation of youth who are in the care of the Department of Juvenile Services, to and from courts, youth facilities or other designated locations; Managing and leading lower- level staff; completing administrative paperwork;Ability to make appropriate decisions with minimal guidance; Assigns, reviews, and approve the work of transportation officers; overseeing staff training; adhere to 24 on call work schedule.
This position has full supervisory responsibility for lower-level Youth Transportation Officers and is responsible for the overall operation of the Transportation Unit in accordance with Department and unit policies and procedures. This position will ensure the safe and expeditious transport of juveniles from institutions, courts, group homes, shelter care facilities, airports, hospitals and other facilities with the State of Maryland as well as surrounding states in conjunction with court schedules, appointment times, etc. Persons assigned to this position may be required to work evenings and weekends and are subject to 24-hour on-call response
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission Regulation.
Experience: Three years of experience providing supervision and guidance to youth in a juvenile facility or juvenile services community program for at-risk youth.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Correctional Services Articles, Section 8-209
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Social Services Aid and Assistant classifications or Social Services Aid and Assistant specialty codes in the Social Science, Psychology and Welfare field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Available for 24 hour on call response
Three years experience providing supervision and guidance to lower level staff
Experience investigating and preparing reports
Experience designing and implementing, policies and standard procedures.
Experience with Microsoft applications.
Experience operating a large passenger vehicle
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This recruitment is limited to current employees of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services only
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates must be certified by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission prior to appointment and are required to maintain certification while employed.
2. Employees in this classification will be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. In accordance with the Correctional Services Article of the Maryland Annotated Code, Section 8-209, the Maryland Correctional Training Commission shall establish the minimum qualifications for probationary or permanent appointment of a Department of Juvenile Services employee in a mandated position. These requirements are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.10.01.04, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission, and include: U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status Must be at least 21 years of age A thorough background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing An oral interview, and Physical and psychological examinations.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, may be supplied with a pager or may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number at which they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09 – Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application (and on separate pages, if necessary) to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
This list will be used by the DJS hiring agency to select employees.
The assessment will be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related experience and education. For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service.
Please note that your answers on the Supplemental Questionnaire must correspond to the information provided on your application to receive credit.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you do not have internet access to submit your application online, you may mail a paper application to the following address:
Maryland Department of Juvenile Services
Office of Human Resources
120 W. Fayette Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
ATTN: RHONDA MOODY
If you mail your application, it MUST be received by the closing date and time. You must include on each page the following information:
*First and Last Name
*Recruitment Number-located at the top of the bulletin
*last 4 digits of your SSN
All incorrect application forms will not be accepted!
Please do not email unsolicited documentation.
The resulting Certified Eligible List for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov. Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please, contact DJS Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the Recruitment Title/Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.
Veterans - Thank you for your service to our country. DJS values the experience gained by Veterans while serving our country. Veterans are welcome to apply for all current recruitments. If you are seeking veteran's preference, please submit a copy of your DD-214 with your application.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.