DJS RESIDENT ADVISOR SUPERVISOR
|Department||DJS Western Region - State Operated Facilities|
|Date Opened||12/19/2017 1:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/4/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$47,807.00 - $65,827.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Wendy Dixon|
This recruitment is limited to current employees of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services only.
By law, DJS is a child-serving agency responsible for assessing the individual needs of referred youth and providing intake, detention, probation, commitment and after-care services. DJS collaborates with youth, families, schools, community partners, law enforcement and other public agencies to coordinate services and resources to contribute to safer communities.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Juvenile Services
Victor Cullen Center
6000 Cullen Drive
Sabillaville, MD 21780
Main Purpose of Job
A DJS Resident Advisor Supervisor is the supervisory level of work providing supervision and guidance to youth residing in a facility operated by the Department of Juvenile Services by observing, interacting and assisting them with everyday life skills and advising them of appropriate alternative behaviors. A DJS Resident Advisor Supervisor also coordinates residential programming services and supervises lower-level DJS Resident Advisors.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Two years of experience providing supervision and guidance to youth in a juvenile facility or juvenile services community program for at-risk youth.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
2. Successful completion of twelve hours of supervisory related training approved by DJS Human Resources may be substituted for for six months of the required experience.
3. Education in criminal justice or the social or behavioral sciences at an accredited college or university may be substituted at a rate of 15 credit hours for each six months of the required experience for up to one year of experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Social Services Aid and Assistant classifications or Social Services Aid and Assistant specialty codes in the Social Science, Psychology and Welfare field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
One year experience planning and supervising the performance of work of employees in a secure residential juvenile facility/setting.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This recruitment is limited to current employees of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services only
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates must be fully certified by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission prior to appointment as a DJS Resident Advisor II and are required to maintain certification while employed.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
3. If employed at a DJS Youth Center, employees in this classification must have completed a Board approved medication technician training program and possess a valid Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON) certification as a medication technician.
1. In accordance with the Correctional Services Article of the Maryland Annotated Code, Section 8-209, the Maryland Correctional Training Commission shall establish the minimum qualifications for probationary or permanent appointment of a Department of Juvenile Services employee in a mandated position. These requirements are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.10.01.04, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission, and include:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21years of age
A thorough background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing
An oral interview, and
Physical and psychological examinations.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
3. If employed at a DJS Youth Center, the employee must possess a Maryland Board of Nursing Medication Technician certificate in accordance with Nurse Practice Act, Annotated Code of Maryland, Health Occupation Article, Title 8, COMAR Title 10, Subtitle 39, Chapter 04 - Medication Technicians.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application (and on separate pages, if necessary) to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
This list will be used by the DJS hiring agency to select employees.
The assessment will be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related experience and education. For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service.
Please note that your answers on the Supplemental Questionnaire must correspond to the information provided on your application to receive credit.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you do not have internet access to submit your application online, you may mail a paper application to the following address:
Maryland Department of Juvenile Services
Office of Human Resources
120 W. Fayette Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
ATTN: WENDY DIXON
If you mail your application, it MUST be received by the closing date and time. You must include on each page the following information:
*First and Last Name
*Recruitment Number-located at the top of the bulletin
*last 4 digits of your SSN
All incorrect application forms will not be accepted!
Please do not email unsolicited documentation.
The resulting Certified Eligible List for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov. Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please, contact DJS Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the Recruitment Title/Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity