NATURAL RESOURCES PLANNER IV
GIS Natural Resources Planner
|Department||DNR - Watershed Services|
|Date Opened||11/6/2017 2:52:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/20/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00 - $80,078.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Khia Poteat|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Department of Natural Resources, Chesapeake & Coastal Service, is currently accepting applications for a Natural Resources Planner IV.
This position supports the Department of Natural Resources in its effort to secure a sustainable future by leading major statewide planning projects that require creating, maintaining, and analyzing spatial data of Maryland's natural resources to characterize the benefits that people receive from natural resources, including how resilience derived from natural infrastructure helps us adapt to a changing environment. This includes directing the development and applied use of spatial scientific information describing the economic and social costs of natural environmental hazards, and quantifying the impact of Chesapeake and Coastal Services (CCS) restoration, conservation and planning services. This position provides guidance and direction to members of CCS and other units in the development and maintenance of spatial databases and decision support tools, requiring knowledge of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). This position will also help to support the Department's role on the Mitigation Working Group of the Maryland Commission on Climate Change, including quantification of ecosystem based carbon sequestration.
For education obtained outside of the United States (U.S.), you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. If you possess a degree obtained outside of the U.S., please submit a detailed, course-by-course evaluation report from one of the U.S. equivalency evaluating members identified at http://www.naces.org/members.html prior to hire.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in an environmental science or natural resources planning, management or development.
Experience: Five years of experience in natural resources planning or applied environmental science.
1. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in urban or regional planning, engineering, physical geography, or the physical, chemical, biological, environmental sciences and one year of experience in natural resource planning or applied environmental science may be substituted for the required education.
2. Possession of a Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources planning, management, administration, development, environmental, urban or regional planning; resources economics or development; environmental system management; water or land resources planning and management; environmental landscape architecture; or the physical, chemical, biological or environmental sciences maybe substituted for up to three years of the required experience.
3. Possession of a Doctorate Degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources planning, management, administration, development, environmental urban or regional planning; resources economics or development; environmental system management; water or land resources planning and management; environmental landscape architecture; or the physical, chemical, biological or environmental sciences maybe substituted for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the general natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or general natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the general natural resources management and biological sciences field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualification(s).
• Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Geographic Information Technology, Environmental Planning, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, or other information technology or environmental related field.
• 5+ years of experience working with GIS, knowledge of GIS web platforms and experience programming these platforms.
• Experience working with federal and state spatial datasets, ecosystem services, carbon modelling, LiDAR data, imagery data, database management and creation.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date with the exception of a foreign degree evaluation (if applicable). Your application may be approved pending receipt of the evaluation.
Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important that you provide all the experience and education that is related to this position completely and accurately. Verifiable volunteer experience will be considered; please include it on your application, if applicable.
This recruitment does not require any additional materials to be uploaded with the exception of a foreign degree evaluation (if applicable). Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application. Please do not submit unsolicited documentation (resumes, transcripts, cover letters, etc.).
You will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If online access is unavailable, you may submit a paper application to:
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, C-3
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Human Resource Department is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
Specific inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Khia Poteat at
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.