Demographic and Socio-Economic Planner
|Department||MDP Planning Data Services|
|Date Opened||9/28/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/19/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00 - $80,078.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cindy Mann|
The Maryland Department of Planning (Planning) promotes a vision for economic development and local authority throughout Maryland. The agency helps Maryland's counties and municipalities in land use and resource planning and provides review and technical assistance on a variety of planning topics.
As Planning monitors and forecasts changes in development and land use throughout the state, its staff creates tools that help plan Maryland's future. Information on demographic, socio-economic, political, cultural, geographic and land-use trends is collected, analyzed, and distributed in multiple formats. Planning supports interactive, web-based map display of census data, land-use, parcel data and aerial imagery to assist local government growth and land-use planning decisions.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Department of Planning
301 W. Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for work in the area of demographic and socio-economic data analysis and mapping using spreadsheets, databases and Geographic Information System (GIS) software. The position will independently perform complex data analysis.
This position is responsible for programming to support the MD State Data Center for processing of annual American Community Survey data files, decennial Census related and other statistical products as well as GIS database applications. Statistical software is used to extract large data sets and prepare user friendly time sensitive products based on client input.
This position tests, and maintains programs using the following languages/software: Fortran, SAS, C#, Python, SQL, Crystal Reports, Paradox and Access. Incumbent debugs and analyzes results of programs and prepares status reports. Data products are made available in various formats, such as spreadsheets, databases or PDF files, to provide easy to use alternatives for a wide range of data users based on client input. Reviews software manuals, technical literature and internet sources to become familiar with specialty software and to keep abreast of developments in data processing technology.
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning.
Experience: Three years of experience in planning.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs and one additional year of experience in planning for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning for two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs and one additional year in planning for the required degree in Planning.
4. Candidates may substitute an additional Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute a Ph.D. from an accredited college or university in Planning, Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs for one year of the required experience.
6. Candidates may substitute a Ph.D. from an accredited college or university in Planning for the required education and two years of the required experience.
7. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect classifications or Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect specialty codes in the Architect field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Three years of experience with one or more of the following:
Preparing mathematical and statistical models to be used in the development and preparation of estimates and long-range, socioeconomic projections.
Using statistical software and languages: Access, SQL, Python, Access, Fortran, SAS, and C+, in preparing reports and presentations in order to communicate findings and analysis.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If on-line application process is not available, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire (by the closing date) to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Suite 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
For inquiries regarding this recruitment, please call 410-767-3623.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the on-line or paper application.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling 410-767-3623.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.