|Department||MDP Planning Data Services|
|Date Opened||2/13/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/27/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,017.00 - $70,265.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cindy Mann|
Supporting Communities, Preserving Resources, Enriching Lives…
Changing Maryland for the Better
The Maryland Department of Planning provides guidance, analysis, outreach and support to ensure that all of the State’s natural resources, built environment and public assets are preserved and protected to achieve its goals for economic, community and environmental vitality.
Planning sees Maryland cities, towns and communities as attractive, vibrant places to live, work, play and learn. They grow in ways that add value to the landscape and provide opportunity to new enterprises. Our natural, cultural and historic resources are catalysts that strengthen and renew economic and community development. Planning’s actions will change Maryland for the better.
LOCATION OF POSITION
301 W. Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
The Infrastructure/Development Planner supports the Department's responsibilities including facility planning, infill and redevelopment; community revitalization; place-based economic development; and infrastructure policy; planning and development.
This position will work with staff from the Planning Department, other State agencies, local governments, federal agencies, various stakeholders and the public toward achieving State and Department infrastructure and development goals. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with local organizations will be essential.
The Infrastructure/Development Planner provides technical and policy assistance to local governments and citizens on community revitalization, place-based economic development, real estate development and infrastructure policy, planning and development.
This position will assist with the implementation of the State's Reinvest Maryland strategy; and support the Department’s role in the Interagency Committee for Public School Construction (IAC) program. This position will also review and comment on educational facility master plans, as well as economic development and revitalization aspects of local comprehensive plans.
Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to distill complex concepts into clear, compelling statements and products.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning.
Experience: Two years of experience in planning.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs and one additional year of experience in planning for the degree in Planning.
2. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning for the required education and for the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs and one additional year of experience in planning for the required degree in Planning.
4. Candidates may substitute an additional Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute a Ph.D. from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs for the required education and one year of the required experience.
6. Applicant may substitute a Ph.D. degree from an accredited college or university in Planning for the required education and experience.
7. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect classifications or Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect specialty codes in the Architect field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Two years’ experience in one or more of the following:
A background in land use planning, community development, town-planning, community design, and/or revitalization.
Site design and visualization tools, such as Sketch Up, CAD, GIS, Photoshop or similar.
Educational facility and facility master plans.
Providing planning assistance to government and non-government organizations.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Degree transcripts and/or diplomas need to be uploaded to the on-line application.
For education obtained outside of the United States, you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. Please submit a detailed, course-by-course evaluation report from one of the U.S. equivalency evaluating members identified at http://www.naces.org/members.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the on-line or paper application. Degree transcripts and/or diplomas need to be uploaded to the on-line application or submitted with the paper application.
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. You may be required to complete a qualifications supplement, or the rating may be based on your application. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all experience and education that is related to this position.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If on-line access is not available, you may submit a paper application, supplemental questionnaire and applicable documents to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Suite 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
RE: (Job Announcement #17-001082-0001)
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please call 410-767-3623.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling 410-767-3623.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.