MAINTENANCE MECHANIC SENIOR
|Department||DGS Facilities Operations and Maintenance|
|Date Opened||10/18/2017 1:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/17/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,048 - $34,536/year with progression to $42,102|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
The MD Department of General Services is seeking applicants to fill several Maintenance Mechanic Senior positions throughout the State. Positions are currently available in the following counties: Anne Arundel, Baltimore City, Caroline, Harford and St. Mary's.
LOCATION OF POSITION
These positions are located in Annapolis, Baltimore, Bel Air, Denton, Glen Burnie and Leonardtown within the Department of General Services, Facilities Operations & Maintenance Division.
Main Purpose of Job
Main purpose of this position is to assist the Maintenance Supervisor on a daily basis with facilities operations and maintenance, performing plumbing, carpentry, HVAC and electrical duties as required to maintain the facilities.
This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this classification must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night and are required to remain or report for duty at such hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
A Maintenance Mechanic Senior is the advanced level of work in the building and grounds maintenance trades. An employee in this class is required to perform general maintenance tasks such as simple construction, repairs to roadways and walks, routine preventative maintenance, heavy janitorial and general services work.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Maintain grounds and perform maintenance repairs on associated gasoline operating equipment.
- Mow lawn area, clear roadway, parking lot and sidewalk of debris and clutter.
- Perform repairs to building such as: replace ceiling tiles, plaster, floor tile and concrete areas, including thresholds and doorways; and repair doors, locks, hinges and related hardware.
- Visually inspect plumbing fixtures and complete any necessary repairs. Correct spills, leaks, breakage and clean up same.
- May work with and/or supervise community service workers.
- Maintain landscaped areas, flowered areas and shrubbery.
- May receive supplies, keep records and store materials in neat and orderly fashion. Maintain inventory records for materials used.
- Collect recycling materials and prepare for collection. Record recycling quantities.
- Make repairs to electrical tools.
- Drive state vehicle to perform pick-up and delivery of materials.
Education: Completion of the eighth grade.
Experience: Four years of experience in any combination of the maintenance trades of which three years shall have been in the trades of electricity, plumbing, steam fitting, refrigeration or air conditioning.
1. Applicants may substitute additional experience in any of the maintenance trades on a year-for-year basis for up to three years of the required education.
2. A degree from an accredited vocational or technical high school with a major in Building Maintenance or a related field may be substituted for up to three years of the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a non-commissioned officer in utilities repair classifications or construction and engineering specialty codes in any combination of maintenance trades on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Candidates with experience operating lawn maintenance equipment and small gasoline powered equipment are preferred.
Candidates with a valid State of Maryland Driver's License are desired.
Preference will be given to candidates with landscaping skills including planting, mulching, trimming and grass cutting.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
To submit additional information, please upload an attachment to your application.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1207, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay