STATE UNDERWRITING MANAGER
TREASURY SPECIALIST VI
|Department||Treasury Insurance Management|
|Date Opened||8/11/2017 2:25:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/28/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,193.00 - $85,401.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Michele Reid|
This is a Management Service position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
The Insurance Division is responsible for administering the State’s Insurance Program. The Division is made up of four units:
Claims, Underwriting, Loss Management and Litigation. The Division's goal is to provide statewide risk management through loss restoration (Claims), loss protection (Underwriting), loss management (Loss Control/Prevention), and loss resolution (Litigation).
The Underwriting Unit manages the insurance needs of the State with self-insurance and through the procurement of commercial insurance. Commercial insurance protects the State Insurance Trust Fund from catastrophic losses and fulfills certain statutory requirements and agency contractual agreements. The Unit analyzes commercial coverage offerings, prices, limits and deductibles and then recommends to the Treasurer the combination that best protects the State of Maryland's assets. As part of its mission to manage the State's insurance needs, the Underwriting Unit conducts an annual insurance survey to gather data on State exposures. The collected data is used to purchase commercial insurance policies and as a component for setting self-insurance premiums.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Assesses need for and manages all commercial insurance policies purchased by the State Treasurer in order to satisfy statutory, regulatory, trust agreements, and contractual insurance requirements
- Acts as sole negotiator for State on new and renewal commercial insurance policies with our insurance brokers
- Analyzes commercial loss runs to identify trends, causes of loss, location of loss, number of employees, etc., and communicates findings to State's brokers, carriers and State agencies
- Manages broker selection contracts including providing information for PAAR, MBE, SBR and GAD reports
- Compiles and manages the only property schedule database of owned properties and leased locations for the State
- Calculates and allocates State agency self-insurance premiums for fine art, bond, and hull for budget process. Calculates blanket commercial insurance premiums and allocates a portion to each State agency
- Participates in the procurement process for broker services
- Acts as sole liaison for advice, training, and recommendations for complex Statewide agency questions and issues related to all self-insurance and commercial insurance coverages
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire.
Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of experience in underwriting property, casualty and/or commercial lines. One year experience supervising in the insurance industry.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate integrity and solid problem solving skills, leadership and enthusiasm, and his/her ability to establish trust and credibility. Strong interpersonal skills are a must, in order to represent the State and deal courteously and effectively with State personnel and outside contacts in carrying out the varied liaison and account servicing functions of the job. Additional consideration will be given to candidates who also possess the following:
· Bachelor’s degree in insurance, business, or other related discipline/field
· AU, CPCU, ARM, ARMP or other underwriting designations
· Large Commercial account underwriting experience
· Working knowledge of public entity procurement processes
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
· Demonstrated ability to tactfully collaborate and build productive business relationships
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Applicants will be subject to a background investigation to include credit and criminal history.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
Job opportunities within the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office are accessible through JobAps, the Statewide Recruitment, Examination and Applicant Tracking System. By using the Department filter and highlighting “Office of the Treasurer”, you can view all active recruitments within our agency. First time users can register for an account by selecting a position to apply for, choosing “I am a new user” at the bottom, then keying in the necessary fields.
General Questions for this recruitment can be directed to the STO Personnel Office at 410-260-7078.
If you do not have access to the Internet and need to fill out a paper application, please forward to: Maryland State Treasurer’s Office, 80 Calvert Street, Room 109, Annapolis, Maryland 21401, Attn: Human Resources or FAX: 410-260-4090.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country and encourage them to apply as well.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|