Engineering Specialist I
|Date Opened||1/12/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/26/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,945.60 - $83,948.80/year|
|Department||Port Tampa Bay|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Hillsborough County (County seat of Tampa, FL) is a great place to work! Situated along Florida's Gulf Coast, this region boasts an enviable quality of life with year round sunshine, a unique cultural heritage and a diverse business climate. For both individuals and companies alike, Tampa offers accessibility, affordability and opportunity.
Hillsborough County Government is a great employer looking for new members to join its team who are aligned with the core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and provide competitive and reasonable compensation.
Hillsborough County Government consists of many independent agencies and thousands of employees. We provide a wide range of municipal services to the citizens of Hillsborough County, including port operations, childrens' education, arts and culture, courts, planning and zoning, public transportation, environmental protection, and employment-related services.
Read below to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of civil, mechanical, electrical, and environmental engineering principles.
- Working knowledge of engineering design criteria and standards.
- Working knowledge of construction standards, methods and materials.
- Working knowledge of inspection techniques.
- Working knowledge of land surveying methods and practices.
- Working knowledge of coordinate geometry and design calculations.
- Working knowledge of engineering plans standard symbols.
- Working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations and policies.
- Working knowledge of applicable environmental regulations and requirements.
- Working knowledge of health and safety standards and procedures.
- Working knowledge of applicable permit requirements.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer operating systems and software.
- Working knowledge of testing and monitoring devices and techniques.
- Skill in testing materials and recording results.
- Skill in the use of survey instruments and equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to identify discrepancies between work performed and specifications.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations.
- Ability to keep accurate field notes.
- Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Assists in the planning, development and oversight of public works or developer projects to include developing and maintaining documentation and correspondence; investigating and resolving concerns and complaints; reviewing permit certifications; overseeing engineering technician inspectors; leading material testing; reviewing work schedules and making recommendations; reviewing and maintaining logs for submittal of material in accordance with specifications; resolving minor conflicts at construction site; reviewing claims submitted by contractors; and performing interim and final inspections.
- Designs small parts of engineering projects to include collecting data, modeling, writing specifications, reviewing plans, performing calculations, reviewing aerial/soil maps and survey and historical data; computing quantities; preparing estimates; assisting in preparing design contracts; recommending changes; preparing construction drawings; preparing permits; reviewing consultants design work and preparing reports.
- Assists in construction operations and maintenance project management by preparing or reviewing construction drawings, specifications, plans and permit packages; preparing change orders and allowance authorizations; and identifying permit, equipment, material, and personnel requirements.
- Conducts environmental engineering reviews of permit applications to include process analysis, emission assessment, impact analysis, site inspection, maintenance of pollution tracking systems, and issuing authorization letters, warning notices and permit denials.
- Performs or supervises the inspection of public works or developer projects to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and contract requirements.
- Assists in the planning, research, and conduct of hydrographic, boundary, photogrammetric control, differential leveling, construction, satellite and conventional network control, utility location, topographic, right of way, environmental, and mapping surveys.
- Oversees, reviews and evaluates the work of technical support personnel.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
- Supplemental Questionnaire and Application Screening
- Establish List
- Department Selection Interviews*
- Background Investigation
*The Department named at the top of this job bulletin is responsible for reviewing the qualified applications on the referral list and will carefully consider all qualified submissions during the screening of candidates. You will be contacted by the department directly if you are selected to continue in the recruitment process. Due to the high level of interest in the position, it will not be possible to interview every minimally qualified applicant. The Department, or its Human Resources Department, will notify you, via email, when the position has been filled.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: The Civil Service Board and its client agencies value the service veterans and their family members have given to our country and support the hiring of returning service members and military spouses. Therefore, special consideration and priority in appointment will be given to veteran preference-eligible applicants (as described in Section 295.07, F.S.) throughout each step of the selection process.
The applicant claiming veterans' preference is responsible for providing required documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference CAN be provided at the time of application submission. Documentation can easily be provided to us electronically through this online application system (preferred), but can also be provided to us by email, fax, or USPS. However, in ALL cases, required documentation must be provided to us prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Applicants that meet the minimum job requirements and qualify for Veterans’ Preference who believe they have not been afforded employment preference in accordance with applicable Florida law, may file a written complaint requesting an investigation with the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Benefits and Assistance, 9500 Bay Pines Blvd, Room 214, St. Petersburg, Florida 33708. The complaint must be filed within 60 calendar days from the date the applicant receives notice that s/he was not selected. Prior to filing a complaint, however, it is the responsibility of the preference-eligible applicant to contact the employer at least one time after 45 days have passed from the final date for submitting an application or the interview date, whichever is later in time, if the applicant has not received notice of a hiring decision.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit the Civil Service Board website by clicking here.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of Hillsborough County have implemented a drug-free workplace and all offers of employment are conditioned on job applicants successfully passing a drug test.
RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hillsborough County provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at email@example.com.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.