Cook (Non-Standard Hours)
|Date Opened||12/6/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/20/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$19,822.40 - $31,449.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- One (1) year experience in high-volume, scratch cooking and cooking with standardized recipes.
- One (1) year experience working in a full-service, commercial kitchen or culinary training.
- Possession of any food safety certificate.
- Ability to work non-standard hours (weekends, various shifts and holidays).
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
One year of experience as a cook in a high volume food service facility.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Physical Demands: Carry and lift up to 40 lbs. of food supplies and equipment, stand for long periods of time and work under high temperature conditions.
Work Environment: Kitchen environment with a frequent high noise environment and exposure to chemicals, solvents.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures and regulations of the residential dining facility to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in food preparation.
- Working knowledge of state and local health and safety regulations and standards.
- Skill in the use of food preparation utensils and equipment.
- Skill in preparing appealing, nutritional food.
- Ability to use initiative and sound judgment.
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work under high temperature conditions.
- Ability to carry and lift up to 40 pounds of food supplies and equipment.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Prepares and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner at a residential treatment dining facility in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Sets up dining area in a family dining style to promote good dining manners and associated social skills.
- Prepares various food dishes, such as meats, fish, poultry, salads, vegetables, gravies, sauces, casseroles, souffles; and various baked items such as cakes, pies, breads and cookies using standard cooking utensils and equipment, following health and safety guidelines.
- Clears and cleans dining room and cooking areas using proper sanitation methods.
- Prepares special diet foods as directed by supervisor.
- Conducts food and equipment inventories, records and advises supervisor of findings.
- Collects monies and daily meal count sheets and prepares daily dining facility activity report.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|Upload Resume to Start an Application|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.