Engineering Specialist II
|Date Opened||11/7/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,238.40 - $73,424.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
An ideal candidate shall have the following:
A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the design or construction water and wastewater collection, transmission and treatments systems.
Excellent ability to review and interpret design plans.
Excellent writing skills to develop engineering and technical reports.
Be self-motivated and have the ability to completing assignments on time and within budget.
Be customer service driven and possess excellent listening skills.
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering; and
Two years of engineering-related experience in planning, developing, implementing, designing, computer modeling, or inspecting and
License/certification as Florida "Engineer Intern" as defined in Chapter 471.005(6) Florida statutes and
Valid Florida Driver’s License
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position requires the ability to walk long distances outside in hot and cold weather on undeveloped sites, climbing stairs and ladders, lifting 40 pounds, sitting for up to two hours straight, and working safely around industrial and construction equipment.
50% to 70% of the duties are office related. This includes engineering-related duties, working on the computer, attending meetings, and training in a professional environment. 30% to 50% of the work takes place outside on facility and infrastructure sites, active construction sites, undeveloped sites, and pre-construction sites.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of engineering principles, practices and methods for assigned functional area.
- Knowledge of engineering design criteria, standards, and applicable permit requirements.
- Knowledge of construction standards, methods, materials, and inspection techniques.
- Knowledge of field testing, sampling and investigative techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of health and safety standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable environmental regulations and requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations.
- Ability to analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Participates in infrastructure planning and development of design, construction, operations, and maintenance of public works or developer projects.
- Designs parts of engineering operations and maintenance projects preparing design requests for proposal (RFP).
- Participates in construction, operations and maintenance project management by preparing or reviewing construction drawings, specifications, plans and permit packages and preparing change orders.
- Conducts environmental engineering reviews of permit applications.
- Performs or supervises the inspection of public works or developer projects.
- Assists in the planning, research, and conduct of environmental and mapping surveys.
- May supervise and/or oversee the work of others by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling, and evaluating performance.
- Serves as a consultant during project construction phases.
- Prepares correspondence and work status reports.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|Upload Resume to Start an Application|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.