Landscape Gardner (Vegetative Right-of-Way Maintenance)
|Date Opened||10/21/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/4/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$22,235.20 - $35,297.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Performs mowing, weeding, trimming, edging and litter pickup at assigned sites including within the publc rights-of-way of heavily trafficked roads, and in wooded or swampy areas.
Performs field work such as gardening, planting, care and maintenance of desired plants and removal of undesired plants with manual and herbicide methods at assigned sites.
High School Diploma or GED certificate; and
Two years of experience in groundskeeping, landscaping, gardening, farming or plant nursery work.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below.
Possession of valid Driver’s License.
Must obtain a State of Florida Right-of-Way Applicator License within the six-month probationary period.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Walking approximately six (6) hours per day, standing/sitting approximately two (2) hours per day. The job also requires frequent fine manipulations, repetitive motion, lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 30 pounds, and occasional bending/stooping, grasping, reaching.
Field position working along side busy roadways performing manual labor in outside environment, exposed to heat, sun, high humidity, rain and other adverse weather conditions. This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays or when the County is closed. This position may be required to be available to assist in Emergency events such as Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, etc. Overtime may be required to meet operational needs.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of horticulture maintenance.
- Working knowledge of proper operation of mechanical and powered equipment used in grounds maintenance.
- Working knowledge of application techniques for fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides.
- Working knowledge of safety requirements involved with operation of required tools and equipment.
- Working knowledge of safety requirements involved with application of pesticides and herbicides.
- Ability to operate mechanical and powered equipment used in grounds maintenance.
- Ability to identify weeds, soil mixture, turf types, plant health and soil moisture levels.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to plan, organize and oversee the work of others.
- Determines types of trees, flowers, shrubs, plants, and grass suitable for specific areas, plants them during appropriate seasons using seeds, seedlings, or nursery plants and schedules maintenance.
- Inspects areas for presence of harmful insects, bugs, or parasites and applies pest control measures as needed.
- Performs grafting, propagation, and other experimental work with trees, flowers, shrubs, plants and grasses.
- Acts as a lead worker over ground maintenance employees.
- Collects, stores, and catalogs seeds for future use.
- May performs general groundskeeping duties.
- May operate riding mowers or other power equipment as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*