Chief Building Inspector (Plumbing)
|Date Opened||10/11/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,435.20 - $84,822.40/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate;
and Five years of experience as a licensed Inspector under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes; including Three years in a supervisory capacity;
and Three years experience reviewing construction plans for compliance with the Florida Building Codes and Hillsborough County’s Construction Ordinance;
and Possession of a related standard Plans Examiner License issued under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes;
and Possession a valid Driver's License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Sitting, lifting up to 50lbs., kneeling, bending, stooping, etc.
Majority of work will be outdoors traveling from job site to job site in county vehicle and using mobile communication devices.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Extensive knowledge of State and local codes and laws governing building construction or mechanical, electrical, gas or plumbing system construction and installation.
- Considerable knowledge of inspection methods and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of construction plan examination methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable County and office policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of OSHA construction site safety requirements.
- Working knowledge of Civil Service rules.
- Working knowledge of the County performance management process.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, diagrams, blueprints, and specifications.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to train others. Ability to objectively rate employee performance.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability to work outside in a subtropical climate in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel or crouch in confined spaces.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to maintain current certifications. Ability to properly and safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Supervises subordinates by planning, assigning, directing, and reviewing their work; providing training and counseling; and evaluating performance to ensure that all work activities are carried out properly and in accordance with governing directives.
- Confers with building official on general policies related to departmental policy, special assignments, and on matters relating to the Florida Building Code.
- Inspects building construction or the installation of plumbing, electrical, or gas systems or mechanical equipment for compliance with state and county codes, laws and ordinances.
- Reviews plans and specifications submitted for building permits, checking for compliance with existing State of Florida Building Codes and Hillsborough County Construction Ordinance.
- Explains and interprets building Codes and specifications to inspectors, contractors and other interested parties.
- Prepares and maintains technical records and reports.
- Explains and enforces the flood protection and flood plain management, regulations and ordinances.
- Explains and interprets the Energy Code, as it relates to the building envelope and all phases of energy conservation in building construction.
- Inspects construction sites for inspector compliance issues and makes final decision on code compliance.
- Assesses code inspection complaints and takes appropriate action.
- Attends Code compliance cases with the Construction Board of Adjustment and Appeals.
- Issues citations or notices of violation for non-compliance of Florida Building Codes or Hillsborough County Construction Ordinance.
- Testifies before the Board of Adjustment and Appeals or in a court of law when subpoenaed.
- Audits inspector certifications periodically to ensure they are current.
- Schedules vehicle maintenance and informs inspectors of scheduled date to ensure vehicles are properly maintained and operational ready.
- Schedules Continuing Education Unit (CEU) classes for inspectors to ensure State requirements are met and certifications are kept current.
- Attends industry meetings to address upcoming Code issues.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.