Lieutenant (Current Fire Rescue Employees Only)
|Date Opened||8/7/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/28/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$23.09 - $31.60/hour|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate;
Three years of experience as a dual certified Paramedic and Fire Fighter within the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Department;
Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter's Certificate of Compliance;
Possession of a valid American Heart Association approved Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification;
Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS FOR CURRENT HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY FIRE RESCUE EMPLOYEES ONLY.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Considerable knowledge of diseases and emergency medical conditions, their diagnosis, and appropriate treatment procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment used for patient care such as defibrillators and vital signs monitors.
- Considerable knowledge of fire fighting, search and rescue methods, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing emergency vehicle operations.
- Considerable knowledge of safe driving techniques for emergency vehicles.
- Considerable knowledge of fire fighting and hazardous materials terminology.
- Working knowledge of the characteristics of fire.
- Working knowledge of standard fire fighting and rescue tools and equipment and their correct use.
- Working knowledge of roads, streets, hospitals, schools, and other facilities within response area.
- Working knowledge of proper lifting techniques.
- Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures and regulations of the unit to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of building construction as it relates to fire behavior and fire suppression and control.
- Working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Skill in the use and care of hand tools and equipment used in fire rescue operations.
- Ability to identify patient conditions based on signs and symptoms.
- Ability to identify mechanical failures of equipment.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to lift and carry weights up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to perform duties under hazardous conditions requiring considerable physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability and willingness to perform housekeeping activities.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to perform as a lead worker and oversee the work of subordinate personnel.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Functions as lead crew member and supervises an emergency advanced life support paramedic fire rescue crew.
- Directs, coordinates and performs patient care activities.
- Assesses patients’ condition to include; vital signs, interpreting electrocardiogram rhythms and communicating with destination facility on the nature and extent of illnesses.
- Provides appropriate emergency medical care within limits established by standard operations and protocols.
- Trains subordinate personnel.
- Provides verbal, written and computer reports pertaining to condition and care of patients at emergency scenes and in transit.
- Determines appropriate patient destinations and transport methods.
- Complies with all regulations concerning the handling of the deceased, notifies authorities, preserves evidence, and initiates appropriate documentation as required.
- Safely and efficiently operates emergency response vehicles.
- Conducts pre-fire planning of commercial buildings, hospitals, schools and other buildings.
- Maintains department equipment, grounds, furnishings or structures.
- Participates in station drills, allied emergency procedures, and actions refresher training.
- Performs as a lead worker overseeing the work of subordinate personnel.
- Responds to fire alarms and performs search, rescue and fire suppression operations to combat fires.
- Operates hand and power tools to ventilate structures.
- Positions and climbs ladders.
- Pulls hose from truck-bed and makes connections to hydrants and pump apparatus.
- Operates charged hose lines of various sizes to combat fires.
- Performs salvage operations.
- Lifts and removes property from damaged structures.
- Places salvage covers over furniture to protect from water damage.
- Operates water vacuum.
- Places fans and smoke ejectors inside burning structure to minimize damages and maximize visibility.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*