Fire Medic I (Current Fire Rescue Employees Only)
|Date Opened||8/7/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/28/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate;
Possession of a valid State of
Possession of a valid State of and Successfully passing the National Testing Network (NTN) administered Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within the past 12 months or scheduled to take the CPAT within the next 14 days, subject to Department verification; and Completion of the NTN Fire Team Test within the past 12 months or scheduled to take the NTN Fire Team Test within the next 14 days, subject to Department verification; (Unless the candidate has already completed this requirement) and Possession of a valid American Heart Association approved Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification; and Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.
Possession of a valid State of
Successfully passing the National Testing Network (NTN) administered Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within the past 12 months or scheduled to take the CPAT within the next 14 days, subject to Department verification; and
Completion of the NTN Fire Team Test within the past 12 months or scheduled to take the NTN Fire Team Test within the next 14 days, subject to Department verification; (Unless the candidate has already completed this requirement)
Possession of a valid American Heart Association approved Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification;
Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS FOR CURRENT HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY FIRE RESCUE EMPLOYEES ONLY.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Considerable knowledge of diseases and emergency medical conditions, their diagnosis, and appropriate treatment procedures.
Working knowledge of fire fighting and search and rescue methods and techniques.
Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing emergency vehicle operations.
Working knowledge of safe driving techniques for emergency vehicles.
Working knowledge of fire fighting and hazardous materials terminology.
Working knowledge of characteristics of fire.
Working knowledge of standard fire fighting and rescue tools and equipment and their correct use.
Working knowledge of equipment used for patient care such as defibrillators and vital signs monitors.
Working knowledge of roads, streets, hospitals, schools, and other facilities within response area.
Working knowledge of proper lifting techniques.
Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures and regulations of the unit to which assigned.
Working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Some knowledge of building construction as it relates to fire behavior and fire suppression and control.
Skill in the use and care of hand tools and equipment.
Ability to identify patient conditions based on signs and symptoms.
Ability to in identify mechanical failures of equipment.
Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Ability to handle confidential information.
Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
Ability to lift and carry weights up to 90 pounds.
Ability to perform duties under hazardous conditions requiring considerable physical exertion.
Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
Ability to work effectively with others.
Ability and willingness to perform housekeeping activities.
Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
Ability to use a computer and related software.
NOTE: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Responds to fire alarms and performs search, rescue and fire suppression operations to combat fires.
- Operates hand and power tools to ventilate structures; positions and climbs ladders; pulls hoses from truckbed and connects to hydrant and pump apparatus; operates water charged hose lines of various sizes to combat fires.
- Performs salvage and overhaul operations to minimize damage.
- Diagnoses vital signs including interpreting electrocardiogram rhythms and communicating with destination facility on the nature and extent of illnesses or injuries for prompt medical care upon arrival.
- Provides emergency medical care within limits established by standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Oversees patient treatment and medical procedures as required.
- Provides verbal, written and computer reports pertaining to condition and care of patients at emergency scenes and in transit.
- Safely and efficiently operates emergency response vehicles.
- Conducts pre-fire planning of commercial buildings, hospitals, schools and other buildings.
- Performs maintenance on department equipment, grounds, furnishings or structures.
- Participates in station drills, allied emergency procedures and actions refreshertraining.
- Performs other related duties as required.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.