Engineering Specialist II (Transportation Review)
|Date Opened||8/29/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/26/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,238.40 - $73,424.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering; and
Two years of experience in planning, developing, implementing, designing, computer modeling or inspecting engineering projects.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Sitting, bending, walking, operation of motor vehicle, good vision, hearing, situation awareness, use of computers, good oral skills.
Office environment, field work to evaluate road existing conditions and related considerations, offsite meetings, and field work related to emergency situations and post event assessment and recovery.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices for assigned functional area.
- Knowledge of engineering design criteria and standards.
- Knowledge of construction standards, methods, and materials.
- Knowledge of pavement design and criteria.
- Knowledge of land surveying methods and practices.
- Knowledge of coordinate geometry and design calculations
- Knowledge of engineering plans standard symbols
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, regulations, and policies.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable computer operating systems and software (Windows, Excel, Word, PPP, Adobe, GIS, etc.)
- Skill organizing and prioritizing tasks to accomplish the work.
- Skill to utilize computer systems to efficiently and effectively accomplish work assignments.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to interpret and apply technical information contained in procedures, manuals and standards to accomplish the review process for selected projects.
- Ability to identified discrepancies of proposed design and plans provided.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload effectively to accomplish assigned projects on schedule.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations.
- Ability to keep and organize back up documentation.
- Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to utilize and learn computer applications to effectively and efficiently perform work tasks.
- Ability to conduct and perform field reviews for assigned roadway design projects.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Participates in infrastructure planning and development of design, construction, operations, and maintenance of public works or developer projects.
- Reviews CIP construction contract plans for conformance with design standards, criteria, and sound engineering practices.
- Reviews all assigned projects for ADA compliance, pedestrian and bicycle safety and connectivity, constructability, operations, and ease of maintenance.
- Reviews all assigned projects for conflicts in construction and proposed design.
- Provides clear concise comments supported by up to date standards, criteria and sound engineering practices. (FDOT Design Standards, FDOT PPM, FDOT Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction, County Manuals and Procedures, etc.)
- Provide comments and recommendations for design issues in electronic format and follows the current review process.
- Provides comments which incorporates current County Policies and Initiatives. · Follows current work procedures and makes recommendations for new or how to improve procedures.
- Perform field reviews as needed and incorporate in reviews information gather during field reviews.
- Participate in Design Review Meetings set by county project managers as requested by the supervisor.
- Assist the supervisor on writing documents, maintain databases, addressed response to comments and other activities as requested.
- Utilizes the GIS system to aid the plan reviews and is responsible to the continuous update of team data to the GIS system.
- Assist on the creation of project initiation forms and project scopes.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.