Plans Examiner II
|Date Opened||3/30/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$60,823.73 - $73,424.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Possession of a standard Plans Examiner License issued by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee is regularly required to walk, stand, frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, feel, pull, push, reach, crawl, stoop, knee, crouch, climb and bend. Requires the ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
The incumbent works in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Considerable knowledge of State and local codes and laws for commercial, industrial, and residential building construction.
- Considerable knowledge of federal and state accessibility requirements for commercial, industrial, and residential construction.
- Working knowledge of the principles of structural engineering.
- Working knowledge of inspection methods and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret complex building/construction plans, diagrams, blueprints, and specifications.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain a current plans examiner license.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Examines commercial, industrial, and residential plans, blueprints, and specifications for compliance with Florida Building Codes.
- Interprets codes and regulations to builders, property owners, and other interested parties and assists them in the alteration of construction plans to meet all applicable building and construction related codes.
- Maintains appropriate files for the efficient recording and issuing of building permits.
- Coordinates with appropriate personnel within the various inspection divisions (i.e., building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fuel gas) to insure that proposed plans and specifications comply with all applicable codes and ordinances.
- May supervise personnel engaged in the issuance of building permits and maintains accountability for related fees collected.
- Functions in a liaison capacity between the agency to which assigned and all applicable parties.
- Ensures that projects comply with the Florida Building Code, the Florida Accessibility Code, the Life Safety Codes, Florida Energy Code and FEMA regulations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|Upload Resume to Start an Application|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.