Environmental Technician II
|Date Opened||2/16/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/2/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$24,752.00 - $39,270.40/year|
|Department||Regional Parks & Environmental Lands|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Bachelor's degree in Resource Management, Life Science, Environmental Science, or related field.
- Two years field experience in Land Management
An Associate's degree in a Natural Science; and
Possession of a valid Driver's License.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Frequently standing and/or walking; frequently required to stand for long periods and walk long distances; frequently requires repeated reaching by extending hand(s) and/or arm(s) in any direction; frequently requires moderate lifting or carrying 26-50 pounds; frequently requires heavy lifting or carrying up to 51 pounds or greater; frequently requires pushing and/or pulling.
Frequently requires working outdoors in outside conditions. Frequently requires extensive safety and/or protective devices. Frequently requires exposure to moving machinery and vehicles. Frequently requires working on slippery or uneven surfaces. Frequently requires exposure to weather including extreme heat, cold, dampness and/or humidity. Frequently in high dust/dirt/grease in the work environment. Frequent exposure to chemicals and solvents. Occasionally works in water.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Maintenance of existing and future access points, recreational trails & fire lanes on ELAPP Preserves.
- Construct and maintain signs, restroom facilities and parking areas at various preserves.
- Conduct exotic plant control using herbicide and other methods. Participate on and prepare sites for prescribed burns.
- Assist with habitat restoration activities.
- Operate tractors, backhoes and other heavy machinery.
- Maintain and help transport tractors, ATV’s, mowers, power tools, and other equipment. Mow trails and grounds when and where needed.
- Trim limbs and brush using hand tools and power saws. Open and close gates, as needed, for public access.
- Fence, gate, lock, etc. installation/removal/maintenance. Assist with exotic/ invasive/ nuisance animal removal.
- Post property boundaries and entrances with appropriate signage.
- Update and post kiosk materials.
- Assist with guided field trips on nature preserves.
- Coordinate with user groups and volunteers.
- Assist with water quality monitoring.
- Remove trash from preserves.
- Collaborate with Sheriff’s Department regarding trespasses, vandalism or other illegal activity on preserves.
- Document daily activities in preserves, including plant & animal sightings.
- Perform other duties as related to land management
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Good communication skills.
- Attend job skill training and apply new skills, as needed.
- High degree of adaptability and problem solving ability.
- Ability to follow technical directions.
- Ability to operate power tools such as chain saws, trimmers, mowers, etc.
- Ability to learn the operation of tractors and similar heavy equipment.
- Ability to retain knowledge of preserve locations, trails, and access points.
- Ability to work outdoors year round in typical Florida conditions.
- Good interpersonal relations skills with public and co-workers.
- Other skills and abilities related to land management.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||You may contact us by phone at (813) 274-6547
or send us an e-mail at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.