Manager Engineering Svcs Capital Projects Management
|Date Opened||1/18/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$80,496.00 - $120,785.60/year|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Will be a leader who can motivate and inspire Section staff;
- Customer service driven, project/program goal focused and an excellent communicator;
- Has excellent experience in interpreting terms and conditions of contracts, dispute resolution, claims management, project and cost controls, and quality management;
- Has a strong background in program and construction management, and experience in alternate project delivery methods such as design-build and CMAR.
- Directs and manages professional engineering and technical staff of approximately 25 – 30.
- Directs the Capital Improvement Program team to deliver approved projects of + $70 million per year.
- Manages and is responsible for all phases of complex public infrastructure projects.
- Oversees implementation of infrastructure reliability program.
- Bachelor's Degree in Science of Engineering
- Ten years of experience post-registration as a Professional Engineer in responsible charge; Four years experience as a team leader or a similar position
- Registration in the State of Florida as a Professional Engineer as defined by Florida Chapter 471
- A valid Florida Driver's License
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds, walk on uneven ground.
- Frequently sitting at a desk or meeting table.
- Occasionally require climbing a ladder or scaffold.
- Frequently requires good near and/or distant vision.
- Office and field environment.
- Occasionally in high noise environment.
- Occasionally in high dust, dirt environment.
- Occasional exposure to machinery/vehicles.
- Occasionally requires travel, including overnight.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Critical Thinking Ability to effectively think through complex problems including sensitive political issues. Broad scope of work that requires a high degree of analytical ability to solve non-standard problems.
Decision Making: Ability to quickly make outstanding decisions on engineering and construction issues and implementation activities. Highly complex independent decision making required.
Communication: Strong written, oral, and presentation skills in front of various sized groups. Must possess considerable tact, discretion and collaborative skills to obtain consensus and cooperation of others.
Strategic Planning: Strong ability to plan funding and implementation strategies for one to five-year timeframe.
Managerial/Operational Skills: Strong management skills and ability to communicate and work effectively with peers and subordinates.
Leadership: Ability to take the lead on key initiatives and direct resources appropriately. Ensure that Departmental, County and BOCC goals are pursued; builds capabilities within Division to support Department.
- Makes decisions with broad influence on the activities of the Department; makes authoritative decisions and recommendations that are conclusive and impact the Department; plans, organizes, and guides extensive projects of major consequence; signs and seals engineering documents. Ensures work complies with regulatory and environmental requirements, best management practices, and industry standards; interacts with regulatory agencies. May perform quality assurance inspections on performed work.
- Directs the work of professional and technical subordinate staff by scheduling, assigning, and reviewing work; provides training, coaching, counseling, and performance evaluation for the dual purpose of meeting goals and employee career development; develops staffing requirements. Oversees compliance with employee and facility safety programs.
- Prepares, monitors, and analyzes section budget for appropriation and expenditures. Authorizes purchases and payments for contract services, equipment, and materials used in operations. Manages the Department and/or contractor project closeout activities and prepares operating and maintenance manuals; supervises the preparation, revision, updating, and distribution of the Department's standards on specifications and estimating.
- Manages the planning, development and implementation of long and short range comprehensive plans for the Department by developing goals, objectives, strategies, policies, procedures and budgets. Determines the type and extent of engineering and related programs required to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Department.
- Negotiates critical and/or controversial issues with top-level engineers, managers, Division and Department Directors; conducts presentations and may represent the Department and/or County at important functions or conferences. Cultivates good rapport with other Sections within the Department and external entities to maintain productive levels of communication.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.