This Director of the Division of Family Services (DFS) is an exempt position and serves at the pleasure of the Cabinet Secretary of the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families (DSCYF). The incumbent is responsible for managing and directing statewide operations for child welfare services including investigation of abuse, neglect and dependency, treatment services, foster care, adoption, independent living and childcare licensing. The incumbent is also responsible for maintaining compliance with all applicable federal and state statutory and regulatory requirements.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of every job duty for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the efforts of Delaware's statewide Child Welfare System.
- Directs the Division of Family Services through subordinate managers, including direct service personnel and administrative staff.
- Develops, implements, and manages initiatives and programs within the Division of Family Services to ensure the safety of children.
- Develops, implements, and monitors a continuous training cycle for all front line staff and supervisors with a focus on child safety, family engagement and trauma informed care.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of all child welfare services and programs.
- Develops policy and strategic direction for the division in alignment with the agency's mission.
- Collaborates with a network of providers, agency and community stakeholders, and members of the legislature.
- Prepares, administers, and oversees an annual budget, including federal and state grant funds.
- Reviews, analyzes, and ensures compliance with state and federal statutory requirements and regulations.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Division Director
Applicants must have education, training, and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of experience in program administration such as overseeing and directing the development, implementation and evaluation of human services programs and services; and planning and establishing short and long-range program goals and objectives.
- Experience in achieving results within a complex organization while addressing the demands of varied stakeholders.
- Experience in strategic planning.
- Five years of experience in policy administration, which includes planning, developing, implementing and evaluating policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget administration including managing, developing, analyzing and implementing budgets and establishing internal controls.
- Experience in representing an organization in public forums including community and legislative stakeholder events.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Please attach a resume with your online application or use the resume tab in DEL to provide a detailed description of how your education, training and/or experience meets each job requirement including employer, experience/responsibilities and dates (month/year) of employment/training.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.