This is the third level of administrative specialist work providing administrative support in a variety of operational areas to a Division Director, Deputy Director or head of a large operating unit or an administrative official typically at the upper management level. A significant aspect of the work is representing the agency on behalf of the superior in providing guidance and consultations to all levels of management on policy questions and administrative matters. Typically, only one Administrative Specialist III will be allocated to a manager as described above.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Applies agency laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures in maintaining and processing agency information.
- Creates official agency word processing documents; creates and maintains agency databases typically using Access or similar software packages; creates and maintains spreadsheets; creates original presentations using software packages.
- Serves as a liaison with the public, clients, agency staff and others to exchange information and explain agency services, laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Assures effective coordination of operational functions.
- Establishes tracking and monitoring systems and conducts follow up to ensure effective resolution of matters.
- Obtains, organizes and drafts technical and administrative material necessary for public information or departmental use. Collects and compiles data to prepare reports and provide supporting documentation.
- Analyzes routine operating practices and procedures and makes recommendations to ensure smooth and efficient office operation.
- Maintains and controls data and/or filing systems to ensure effective, accurate and easily retrievable documentation of operations, program and project activities.
- May oversee or supervise lower level employees.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Administrative Specialist III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in coordinating administrative operations or functions such as coordinating organizational operations or components of functional programs, tracking workflow and resolving problems, providing guidance and consultation to management, customers and others on administrative matters.
- Six months experience in data collection which includes collecting, compiling and maintaining data from multiple sources such as files, records, databases, customers, staff or others.
- Six months experience in analyzing and evaluating data.
- Six months experience in creating reports which includes combining and presenting data from multiple sources in an organized format.
- Six months experience in using standard computer software programs for word processing, spreadsheets or databases.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Union: As a condition of accepting employment, the person selected for this position shall join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, instead not join but pay a service fee no greater than the dues. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application is evaluated based upon a rating of training and experience.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.