This is human resource management work at the advanced level. Positions at this level are either a resident expert for one or more major human resource functions or expert generalist for all human resource functions or responsible for the human resource operations of a small department. Positions that supervise one or more professional in addition to technical staff would fit within this level. Positions at this level typically report to a technical superior.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Interprets, explains and applies applicable state and federal laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Develops and recommends policies and procedures consistent with merit system laws, rules, regulations, priorities, objectives and new federal mandates.
- Develops and implements programs to ensure compliance with state and federal laws, the policies of the Office of Management and Budget and to meet operational needs of human resource functions.
- Collects, analyzes and evaluates data from a variety of sources and presents/communicates information effectively.
- Identifies and analyzes inquiries/problems/needs/issues, assesses their impact and generates and evaluates alternatives.
- Provides recommendations, guidance and direction to management for the purpose of understanding, meeting organizational and operational goals and objectives and identifying/resolving problems/needs.
- Implements human resource functions, policies, procedures, systems and plans.
- Provides representation at meetings, hearing, contract negotiations, presentations, proceedings and committees.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with state and federal laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, requirements, guidelines, contract agreements and budgets.
- Conducts projects and studies.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Human Resources Specialist III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Behavioral Science, Political Science or related field OR possession of a SPHR, PHR, IPMA-CP, IPMA-CS or equivalent professional human resource certification OR for current State employees, the Office of Management and Budget Human Resource Certification.
- At least two years experience performing professional human resource activities in a human resource office such as Labor Relations, Employee Relations, Benefits, Job Classification, Compensation Analysis, Pension, Recruitment, Selection or EEO/AA.
- Three years experience in analyzing human resource problems, developing alternatives and recommending and advising management on solutions.
- Three years experience in interpreting human resource laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
- Knowledge of developing human resource policies or procedures.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application is evaluated based upon a rating of training and experience.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.