This position oversees the Department of Agriculture's Communications and Marketing functions including supervising staff, managing budgets, developing policy recommendations, and formulating marketing initiatives and strategies. The position is also responsible for media relations including developing press releases and other media materials, coordinating events with the Governor's Office, handling press inquiries, and responding to constituent questions and concerns.
Applicants who do not possess the preferred qualification will still be eligible to compete for this position if job requirements are met.
Three years experience in marketing products or services by identifying channels of promotion, distribution, and advertising.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Gathers, organizes, and formats information related to an agency's goals, objectives and services.
- Promotes an agency's image consistent with the overall direction of the agency.
- Coordinates timely and accurate responses and information to citizens, community groups or governmental agencies.
- Encourages participation in the use of agency services.
- Coordinates and conducts public meetings, media events or educational programs.
- Ensures a mutual sharing of information with other agencies, media and the general public.
- May supervise staff.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Chief, Community Relations
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in public relations or media relations to establish and promote a positive image and inform or influence specific audiences through the use of internal and external communications such as public forums, print or electronic media, speech writing, writing/editing, marketing, advertising, or special events.
- Three years experience in gathering, organizing, formatting, translating, or interpreting information into forms more easily understood by the media or public, and disseminating the information through the use of print, broadcast or electronic media.
- Three years experience in public speaking which includes gathering, preparing and presenting information to the public or media groups.
- Three years experience in developing policies, procedures or programs for dissemination of information to the public or media groups.
- Three years experience in determining and evaluating alternative courses of action to resolve or mitigate controversial issues.
- Six months experience in managing public and media relations through subordinate staff.
- Six months experience in staff supervision of two or more employees which includes to plan, assign, review, discipline, recommend hire, promotion, termination and administer performance plans and reviews.
Additional Posting Information
Writing Exercise: A writing exercise will be given at the time of interview.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.