This is the management level of telecommunications technology for data networks infrastructure, evolution and migrations to next generation networks. This level ensures appropriate network services and infrastructure are developed and maintained. Positions at this level are employed at the Lgislature's Department level involving responsibility for planning networks for the department and responsibility for the integration of the department's overall network functions.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Configures, installs, tests, troubleshoots, repairs and monitors operation of LAN hardware/software including desktop computers, data/voice/video communication systems, including peripheral devices, wiring and cabling to ensure connectivity and functionality.
- Identifies and resolves network and telecommunication system malfunctions including connectivity and functionality for mainframe and remote access and other connections/interfaces; start/restart network after disruptions or failures using computer diagnostic tools and software; run system backups; resolves desktop computer problems.
- Provides customer service through central help desk function to resolve or ensure resolution of problem diagnosis/assessment and repairs. Maintains database of user problems and resolution.
- Performs routine network systems administration to include, but not limited to: addition/deletion of users and hardware/software, defining access rights, implementing and ensuring compliance with security procedures and policies, purchasing hardware/software through state contracts, planning and implementing desktop computer migration and maintaining inventory control systems. Advises and trains users on the operation and capabilities of hardware and application software.
- Plans, schedules, installs and tests software updates and hardware upgrades; conducts needs analysis of equipment, software, network security, budget, disaster recovery concerns, training and equipment resources to plan and recommend network changes in ways that meet program goals. Coordinates network expansion with agency technical staff, consultants, contractual vendors or OTM.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Telecommunications/Network Technician Manager
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in administering computer data networks which includes troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving hardware and software problems.
- Three years experience in installing, testing, and configuring computer data networks including associated wiring, network dependent devices and infrastructure components.
- Six months experience in information technology project management which includes planning, scheduling, staffing, coordinating, controlling, monitoring, evaluating and reporting on status of IT projects.
- Six months experience in staff supervision of two or more employees which includes to plan, assign, review, discipline, recommend hire, promotion, termination and administer performance plans and reviews.
- Knowledge of computer data network design or redesign.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.