This incumbent will function as an expert at the State level for performing internal control reviews in accordance with Committee of Sponsoring Organizations. The reviews will consist of, and are not limited to, revenue and expenditures cycles along with the financial reporting cycle. This incumbent will serve as the subject matter expert for the GAAP module of Delaware’s Statewide Financial Enterprise Resource system (FSF). This incumbent will also support the CAFR team by preparing various accounting schedules and reports.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Collects, analyzes and evaluates financial data from a variety of sources.
- Ensures all transactions comply with accounting and tax policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- Provides counsel and advice to state organizations to resolve discrepancies, preclude errors and delays in processing.
- Approves requests, verifies coding for transaction processing or cancellation.
- Implements accounting functions, policies, procedures, systems and plans.
- Develops and recommends policies and procedures consistent with state accounting, rules, regulations, priorities, objectives and new federal mandates.
- Performs audits of documents to ensure proper accounting of funds.
- Provides recommendations, guidance and direction to management for the purpose of understanding, meeting functional and operational goals and objectives.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for State Accountant IV
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- At least three years experience in accounting using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Three years experience in compiling, analyzing and interpreting financial data to ensure effective and efficient accounting of funds or to make projections for financial planning.
- Three years experience in developing solutions and providing recommendations, guidance and direction to management/officials in accomplishing organizational and operational goals and objectives and identifying and resolving issues.
- Three years experience in interpreting accounting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Six months experience in developing accounting policies and procedures.
- Six months experience in strategic planning such as planning and mapping a path between the present and future usually for three to five years by determining key objectives, how to accomplish the key objectives, what strategies should be used, what activities would contribute to accomplishing the key objectives and developing performance measures to gauge and report progress or success.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.