|Filing Deadline||4/24/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$31.47 - $37.48/hour; $65,457.60 - $77,958.40/year|
Permanent Full-Time Employment
|HR Analyst||Debra Robinson|
THIS IS A NEW ASSEMBLED EXAMINATION. The eligible list resulting from this examination will cancel any existing list and may last approximately one year, but can be extended.
Applications must be in the possession of the Human Resource Services Department by 5:00 p.m. on the Last Day for Filing. Postmarks are not accepted. Applications will only be accepted online.
ONLINE APPLICATIONS ONLY
We are currently recruiting for a vacancy in the Probation Department. However, the eligible list resulting from this recruitment may be used by any County department or agency needing to fill a vacancy.
Administrative Secretary positions perform secretarial duties for the County Administrative Officer, Agency Directors, or heads of departments:
l. Of over 700 employees, AND
2. In which the department head reports directly to the electorate, Board of Supervisors, or County Administrative Officer.
Click HERE for the full job description.
The equivalent of one year of full-time experience in the class of Secretary II or two years in the class of Secretary I, or an equivalent or higher level clerical class in Alameda County classified service, that requires a typing proficiency level of not less than 40 wpm. (Non-classified includes the District Attorney’s Office, Hospital Authority, and the Consolidated Courts.)
Completion of the Alameda County Management Academy “Management & Supervision Certificate Program” may substitute for six (6) months of the required qualifying experience.
Successful completion of a comprehensive secretarial training program at an accredited Community College, or recognized certified business school, AND
The equivalent of four years’ full time increasingly responsible clerical experience comparable to the County's Secretary II classification. (Additional extensive secretarial experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the educational requirement.)
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The most suitably qualified candidates will possess the following competencies:NOTE: The level and scope of the following knowledge and abilities are related to duties listed under the “Examples of Duties” section of this specification.
· Modern office practices and procedures, including business correspondence, record keeping systems, and standard office equipment operations.
· Correct English usage, including spelling and grammar; business letter writing and proper format for typed materials.
· Word processing and/or spreadsheet applications.
· Principles of managing and coordinating secretarial aspects of a large or complex program.
· Organization and functions of County government.
· Perform difficult clerical work involving independent judgment; type with speed and accuracy at not less than 40 words per minute.
· Prepare clear and comprehensive reports; draft, compose and edit correspondence from brief oral or written instructions, using word processing applications.
· Speak clearly and concisely to obtain and relay information.
· Maintain personnel and other record files.
· Identify and correct errors in English usage, grammar, and mathematical calculations in a variety of documents.
· Organize and prioritize work load; complete work under time deadlines.
· Learn to interpret and apply laws, rules, and written directions to specific situations.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co workers and the general public.
· Assist in devising and keeping office records of a confidential nature; maintain confidentiality.
· Evaluate demands on an Administrator's time; arrange his/her schedule accordingly.
· Work with officials and the general public in routine, emergency, and emotional situations.
· Take responsibility and use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION CRITERIA
Some positions require the ability to take shorthand at a speed of not less than 80 words per minute and transcribe it accurately via shorthand or dictation recording equipment.
THE EXAMINATION WILL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
1) A review of candidates' applications to verify possession of minimum requirements. Those candidates who possess the minimum requirements for the class will move on to the next step in the examination process.
2) A qualifying only (pass/fail) computer skills assessment that will evaluate the candidates' ability to use Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, and ability to type a minimum of 40 net words per minute. Only candidates who pass the computer skills assessment will be invited to the oral interview process.
3) An oral interview which will be weighted as 100% of the candidate's final examination score. The oral interview may contain situational exercises.
CANDIDATES MUST ATTAIN A QUALIFYING RATING ON EACH PORTION OF THIS EXAMINATION.
We reserve the right to make changes to the announced examination components.
Alameda County utilizes a Civil Service Selection System founded on merit. Such a system is competitive and based on broad recruitment efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to test in an examination process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness, and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position. Many of our recruitments are targeted and specific to the needs of a current vacant position, in which case, the eligible list may be exclusively used for that current vacant position. Other recruitments many be more broadly used for both current and future vacancies, or for other alternate jobs with comparable scopes of work.
To learn more about our recruitment and selection process, please visit the “What You Need to Know” section of our website, www.acgov.org/hrs.
Applicants will be informed via e-mail with reasonable notice in advance of any examination process which will require their attendance. The following dates are tentative and subject to change based on the needs of the Agency:
TENTATIVE SELECTION PLAN:
Deadline for Filing: 5:00:00pm, Monday, April 24, 2017
Review of Minimum Qualifications: by Monday, May 8, 2017
Computer Skills Assessment: Week of May 22, 2017
Oral Interviews*: Week of June 12, 2017
*If designated as a combined oral examination/hiring interview, in addition to establishing an eligibility list, the oral interviews may serve as the final selection interview for vacancies in this classification.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE ANNOUNCED RECRUITMENT & SELECTION PLAN
Alameda County and the Human Resource Services Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination and/or selection process to accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities and/or medical conditions in accordance/compliance with the State Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Alameda County’s Reasonable Accommodation Policy and applicable statues. To request an accommodation due to a disability/medical condition during this or other phases of the examination/selection process, please contact the assigned Human Resources Representative listed on the job announcement before the last date of filing. Alameda County requires applicants to provide supporting documentation to substantiate a request for reasonable accommodation. In order to qualify for a reasonable accommodation, applicants must have a disability/medical condition pursuant to the ADA, FEHA and applicable statues.
For more information regarding our Reasonable Accommodation procedures, please visit our website, www.acgov.org/hrs
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall wellbeing. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical – HMO & PPO Insurance
- Dental – PPO & DHMO Insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage)
- County Allowance (Employer Credit)
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan – (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan
For your Work/Life Balance
- 11 paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Management Paid Leave**
- Group Auto/Home Insurance
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Group Legal
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
** Non-exempt management employees are entitled to up to three days of management paid leave. Exempt management employees are entitled to up to seven days of management paid leave.
All notices related to County recruitments for which you have applied will be sent/delivered via email. Please add @acgov.org and alamedacountyHR@acgov.org as accepted addresses to any email blocking or spam filtering program you may use. If you do not do this, your email blocking or spam filtering program may block receipt of the notices regarding your application for recruitments. You are also strongly advised to regularly log into your County of Alameda online application account to check for notices that may have been sent to you. All email notices that will be sent to you will also be kept in your personal online application account. You will be able to view all of your notices in your online application account by clicking on the 'My applications' button on the Current Job Openings page.
Please take the steps recommended above to ensure you do not miss any notices about a recruitment for which you have applied. The County of Alameda is not responsible for notices that are not read, received, or accessed by any applicant for a County recruitment.
NOTE: All notices are generated through an automated email notification system. Replies to the email box alamedacountyHR@acgov.org are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. If you have questions please go to our website at www.acgov.org/hrs. You may also contact the Human Resources Analyst listed on the bulletin for the recruitment for which you have applied.
Debra Robinson-Harris, Human Resources Analyst
Human Resource Services, County of Alameda
Alameda County is an Equal Opportunity Employer