|Date Opened||1/6/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/31/2017 5:00:00 PM|
Permanent Intermittent (Services-As-Needed/on call)
|HR Analyst||Elaine Lemi|
For more information about the General Services Agency, please visit: https://www.acgov.org/gsa/
Under direction, to pick up, sort and deliver intra County and other mail, correspondence, records and small amounts of supplies and other materials to County and other offices; and to do related work as required.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications stated below, the successful candidate for the position of Messenger, Services-As-Needed (SAN) will possess the following critical attributes:
Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The most suitably qualified candidates will possess the following competencies:
• Drive safely and skillfully.
• Follow written and oral instructions.
• Do manual labor.
• Assume responsibility and accountability for mail, and on occasion, valuables such as cash, payroll warrants and drugs.
• Plan, organize and coordinate own work to meet scheduled routes.
• Sort and categorize mail, packages, flats and other materials according to several categories.
• Read and memorize names and numbers rapidly.
• Read and utilize maps effectively.
• Lift up to 50 pounds and stand or walk for long periods of time.
• Do clerical duties, such as filling out forms, reports, charts, etc.
• Work independently with minimum or remote supervision.
• Interact effectively with County employees and members of the public.
• Learn to operate a two-way radio for emergency communications.
THE EXAMINATION WILL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
1) A review of candidates' applications to verify possession of minimum requirements. Those candidates who possess the minimum requirements for the class will move on to the next step in the examination process.
2) A review of candidates' Supplemental Questionnaires to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process.
3) An oral interview which will be weighted as 100% of the candidate's final examination score. The oral interview may contain situational exercises.
CANDIDATES MUST ATTAIN A QUALIFYING RATING ON EACH PORTION OF THIS EXAMINATION.
We reserve the right to make changes to the announced examination components.
Alameda County utilizes a Civil Service Selection System founded on merit. Such a system is competitive and based on broad recruitment efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to test in an examination process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position. Many of our recruitments are targeted and specific to the needs of a current vacant position, in which case, the eligible list may be exclusively used for that current vacant position. Other recruitments may be more broadly used for both current and future vacancies, or for other alternate jobs with comparable scopes of work.
To learn more about our recruitment and selection process, please visit the “What You Need to Know” section of our website, www.acgov.org/hrs.
Applicants will be informed via email with reasonable notice in advance of any examination process which will require their attendance. The following dates are tentative and subject to change based on the needs of the Agency:
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical – HMO & PPO Insurance
- Dental – PPO & DHMO Insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage)
- County Allowance
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan – (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan
For your Work/Life Balance
- 11 paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Management Paid Leave**
- Group Auto/Home
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
** Non-exempt management employees are entitled to up to three days of management paid leave. Exempt management employees are entitled to up to seven days of management paid leave.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|