THIS IS A NEW ASSEMBLED EXAMINATION. The eligible list resulting from this examination will cancel any existing list and may last approximately one year, but can be extended. Applications will only be accepted online. No options to apply before Monday, January 30, 2017.
Supplemental Questionnaire: A properly completed Supplemental Questionnaire must be submitted with each application. Applications and Supplemental Questionnaires must be in the possession of the Human Resource Services Department by 5:00 p.m. on the Last Day for Filing. Failure to submit the Application or Supplemental Questionnaire will result in disqualification.
Please read and follow the directions in red noted below
• Applications will only be accepted from January 30, 2017, through the Last Day for Filing.
• Your current CA DMV driving record must be included with your online application by the last date to file.
• Be sure to obtain a soft copy of your driving record prior to the filing period. Driving records may be obtained at the DMV website at: Driver Record Request
• You must attach the required document before submitting your application. Once you've submitted your application, it cannot be edited.
• You may attach the required document under the resume tab. The resume tab can only attach one document. If your document is more than one page, please scan the document into one file then attach under the resume tab.
• Driving records submitted by mail, fax, or delivery will not be accepted.
Alameda County's General Services Agency delivers a host of support services to County departments and agencies. These services fall into several major categories: Technical — architectural, engineering, energy and hazardous materials management; Building Maintenance — building maintenance and repairs, janitorial services and minor remodeling and alterations; Construction — new facilities and major remodeling; Procurement — purchasing and contract administration; Fleet Services; Childcare Planning; Human Resources, Payroll, Information Systems and Parking Administration. The mission of the GSA is to provide high quality, cost effective, and timely support services for County departments and other public agencies, so they can better serve the public and business community.
For more information about the General Services Agency, please visit: https://www.acgov.org/gsa/
Under direction, to pick up, sort and deliver intra County and other mail, correspondence, records and small amounts of supplies and other materials to County and other offices; and to do related work as required.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications stated below, the successful candidate for the position of Messenger, Services-As-Needed (SAN) will possess the following critical attributes:
Demonstrates a dependable and collaborative work history and is available for intermittent work
Available and willing to report to work on short notice; work on a Services-As-Needed schedule
Absorbs and retains knowledge
Maintains a consistent work pace while performing repetitive physical work
Possesses a safe driving record and adheres to established safety procedures
Assumes responsibility and accountability for the efficient and accurate delivery of mail
Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The most suitably qualified candidates will possess the following competencies:
• Drive safely and skillfully.
• Follow written and oral instructions.
• Do manual labor.
• Assume responsibility and accountability for mail, and on occasion, valuables such as cash, payroll warrants and drugs.
• Plan, organize and coordinate own work to meet scheduled routes.
• Sort and categorize mail, packages, flats and other materials according to several categories.
• Read and memorize names and numbers rapidly.
• Read and utilize maps effectively.
• Lift up to 50 pounds and stand or walk for long periods of time.
• Do clerical duties, such as filling out forms, reports, charts, etc.
• Work independently with minimum or remote supervision.
• Interact effectively with County employees and members of the public.
• Learn to operate a two-way radio for emergency communications.
THE EXAMINATION WILL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
1) A review of candidates' applications to verify possession of minimum requirements. Those candidates who possess the minimum requirements for the class will move on to the next step in the examination process.
2) A review of candidates' Supplemental Questionnaires to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process.
3) An oral interview which will be weighted as 100% of the candidate's final examination score. The oral interview may contain situational exercises.
CANDIDATES MUST ATTAIN A QUALIFYING RATING ON EACH PORTION OF THIS EXAMINATION.
We reserve the right to make changes to the announced examination components.
Alameda County utilizes a Civil Service Selection System founded on merit. Such a system is competitive and based on broad recruitment efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to test in an examination process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position. Many of our recruitments are targeted and specific to the needs of a current vacant position, in which case, the eligible list may be exclusively used for that current vacant position. Other recruitments may be more broadly used for both current and future vacancies, or for other alternate jobs with comparable scopes of work.
To learn more about our recruitment and selection process, please visit the “What You Need to Know” section of our website, www.acgov.org/hrs.
Applicants will be informed via email with reasonable notice in advance of any examination process which will require their attendance. The following dates are tentative and subject to change based on the needs of the Agency:
Deadline for Filing*:
Tuesday, January 31, 2017, at 5:00 pm
Review of Minimum Qualifications:
by Friday, February 3, 2017
Review of Supplemental Questionnaire for Best Qualified:
by Friday, February 10, 2017
Week of February 20, 2017
* No options to apply before Monday, January 30, 2017. Applications will only be accepted from Monday, January 30, 2017, through deadline for filing.
*The combined oral examination/hiring interview, in addition to establishing an eligibility list, may serve as the final selection interview for vacancies in this classification.
Alameda County and the Human Resource Services Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination and/or selection process to accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities and/or medical conditions in accordance/compliance with the State Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Alameda County’s Reasonable Accommodation Policy and applicable statutes. To request an accommodation due to a disability/medical condition during this or other phases of the examination/selection process, please contact the assigned Human Resources Representative listed on the job announcement before the last date of filing. Alameda County requires applicants to provide supporting documentation to substantiate a request for reasonable accommodation. In order to qualify for a reasonable accommodation, applicants must have a disability/medical condition pursuant to the ADA, FEHA and applicable statutes.
For more information regarding our Reasonable Accommodation procedures, please visit our website, www.acgov.org/hrs
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical – HMO & PPO Insurance
- Dental – PPO & DHMO Insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage)
- County Allowance
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan – (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan
For your Work/Life Balance
- 11 paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Management Paid Leave**
- Group Auto/Home
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
** Non-exempt management employees are entitled to up to three days of management paid leave. Exempt management employees are entitled to up to seven days of management paid leave.
All notices related to County recruitments for which you have applied will be sent/delivered via email. Please add @acgov.org and alamedacountyHR@acgov.org as accepted addresses to any email blocking or spam filtering program you may use. If you do not do this, your email blocking or spam filtering program may block receipt of the notices regarding your application for recruitments. You are also strongly advised to regularly log into your County of Alameda online application account to check for notices that may have been sent to you. All email notices that will be sent to you will also be kept in your personal online application account. You will be able to view all of your notices in your online application account by clicking on the "My applications" button on the Current Job Openings page.
Please take the steps recommended above to insure you do not miss any notices about a recruitment for which you have applied. The County of Alameda is not responsible for notices that are not read, received or accessed by any applicant for a County recruitment.
NOTE: All notices are generated through an automated email notification system. Replies to the email box alamedacountyHR@acgov.org are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. All notices are generated through an automated email notification system. Replies to the email box are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. If you have questions please go to our website at www.acgov.org/hrs. You may also contact the Human Resources Analyst listed on the job announcement for the recruitment for which you have applied.
Elaine Lemi | Human Resources Analyst
Human Resource Services, County of Alameda
(510) 272-6434 | email@example.com
Alameda County is an Equal Opportunity Employer