2430 Medical Evaluations Assistant
|Date Opened||4/5/2013 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/19/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$23.28 - $28.30/hour; $4,034.00 - $4,905.00/month; $48,412.00 - $58,864.00/year|
2430 MEDICAL EVALUATIONS ASSISTANT
Permanent and provisional applicants are encouraged to apply. Provisional applicants must participate in a Civil Service examination for this job classification to become permanent.
LOCATION OF POSITIONS:
The Department of Public Health’s Community Health Network – Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC) is currently accepting applications for seven (7) full time and one (1) part time position in class 2430 Medical Evaluations Assistant.
Full time positions are located at:
- Silver Avenue Health Center
- Tom Waddell Health Center
- Ocean Park Health Center
- Maxine Hall Health Center (3 positions)
- Southeast Health Center
The part time position will be located at
- Tom Waddell Health
SHIFT: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM-5:00PM. May include evening or weekend hours.
Note: This applicant pool may be used to fill future vacancies up to six months from the closure date of this announcement. The Medical Evaluations Assistant position(s) may be located at San Francisco General Hospital, Laguna Honda Hospital, and various locations/programs within the Department of Public Health.
Under general supervision of the Nurse Manager, the Medical Evaluations Assistant (MEA) performs the following duties:
- Rooms patients and obtaining vital signs;
- Performs intake and post-examination duties;
- Collects and enters data into the chronic disease registry;
- Processes medical charts/folders;
- Assists the medical provider in performing various physical examinations and procedures such as phlebotomy, finger sticks, blood glucose measurement, EKGs, pulse oximetry, and urine tests;
- Processes lab specimens for chemistry, urinalysis, cultures and occult blood and prepares for transport;
- Performs wound care: subcutaneous/intramuscular/intradermal injections, and other clinical duties under direction/supervision of clinical staff;
- Observes appropriate safety precautions, maintains inventory of medical and lab supplies, forms and vaccines;
- Cleans and performs simple maintenance of instruments and equipment;
- Provides patients and families with instructions on preventive health issues according to protocol;
- Participates in quality improvement activities;
- Communicates effectively and collaborates with members of the multidisciplinary team, including Health Worker, RN, NP/PA and MSW staff as well as community partner staff;
- Assists with client discharge and appointment scheduling;
- Documents client care in a timely and appropriate manner;
- Receives clients via phone or in person and schedules appointments;
- Performs other related duties as assigned/required.
1a. Possession of a recognized Medical Assistant Degree or Certificate; OR
1b. Completion of an EMT-P (Emergency Technician/Paramedic) Training Program; OR
1c. Completion of a U.S. Military Corpsman Training Program; AND
2. Possession of a Certified Phlebotomy Technician I certificate (CPT-1) issued by the State of California, Department of Health Services.
Completion of an EMT Training Program AND two (2) years of verifiable medical assisting work experience may substitute for an EMT-P (Paramedic) certificate.
- Sensitivity to and experience working with racial, ethnic, and sexually diverse client population.
- Desire to work with low income and multicultural clients with multiple chronic medical and social issues.
- Proactive work ethic and dedication to improving the lives of others.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a high pressure environment.
- Strong organizational skills in performing duties effectively, efficiently and productively.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary health care team (HW, MEA, RN, NP/PA, MSW) and community partners.
- Experience and willingness to work at different health centers in the COPC clinic network.
- High degree of professional decorum and integrity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Bilingual in Cantonese/Mandarin, Vietnamese and/or Spanish.
- Current CPR certification from an American Heart Association approved program.
- Ability to lift, move and/or carry twenty-five (25) lbs or more, as well as working while standing for extended periods of time.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and data entry programs.
- Familiarity and/or proficiency using a computer and accompanying computer programs such as email, Invision/LCR, and CCMS
HOW TO APPLY:
- Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Click on “I am a New User” or “I have previously applied”
- Follow instructions given on the screen
If you are a current CCSF employee with permanent status in the classification specified above and wish to be considered for transfer or reinstatement to a position in the same classification within the department/agency for which this announcement has been issued, you must submit an Employee Request for Transfer form (see http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=11618) or an Employee Request for Reinstatement form (see http://sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=11617), along with a copy of your resume, to the Exam Analyst during the recruitment period indicated.
If you have any questions regarding these positions, please contact:
Fidez Bituin, Executive Assistant
Community Oriented Primary Care
Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 415-255-3516
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, for use by the public. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
VERIFICATION OF QUALIFYING EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Verification of education and experience may be required at any time in the selection process. If verification is required, failure to provide verification may result in disqualification from the selection process.
The selection process will include evaluation of applications in relation to minimum requirements. Depending on the number of applicants, the Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited for an interview.
Applicants meeting the minimum requirements are not guaranteed advancement in the selection process.
1. Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used fro scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
2. Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date. Copies of Application Documents: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#copies
3. Medical Examination: Prior to appointment, at the Department’s expense, applicants may be required to take a TB screening test, and a medical examination.
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Issued: March 29, 2013
Announcement No.: TPV-2430-060182
Team DPH/LL (415) 206-5417
DHR Pos Nos (1122972/01122971/01114417/01122452/01122088/01122093/01122094/01122095)
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.